Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Some advice for textralia..

Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some advice for textralia..

I need a new clutch for my 99 trans am. I have a cartech currently but am sick of adjustable masters just have no luck with them it seems.

But have just been told by sponsor that the textralia is sold as a system only. It comes with pressure plate and disc but also slave and new oem flywheel. Problem is I already have upgraded slave and want to use a fidanza flywheel. Also no way in heck would buy a clutch that can't buy the disc separate when and I say when it wears out. Would I then have to buy yet another pressure plate ,disc and yet another slave and flywheel. I will be filling the shelves in my garage with slaves and flywheels,and pressure plates.

I have emailed textralia and hope they can give their dealers the option of selling just the pressure plate and disc and the disc separate as replacement and they should maybe also offer a qualtiy flywheel like fidanza as optional flywheel with the package.

I can not afford to buy the system for nearly 1000 US and wind up with an extra slave and flywheel. They will sell a lot more clutches if they can separate the parts. What do you guys think? I hope I am not out of line but likely would buy a textralia today if can just buy the pressure plate and disc. I upgraded my slave recently and can't see why the clutch won't work with say a fidanza flywheel.

Maybe if some more of you potential buyers back me the sponsors will get the message and textralia will allow them to separate the package.

Otherwise likely going to another make of clutch .
Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW.. Peter from textralia has answered my email to him on this within minutes ,very impressive Peter!!!
He said he will discuss this with his partners. So if some more of you guys chime in bet we can sway him to give us these options and a new textralia will be in many more ls1 cars including mine!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent received a call back from him as of yet...i called him yesterday and left a message....all i need to know is what the power rating on these clutches are...anyone have any idea???
Old 07-06-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

I read they are rated at 700 rwhp. I was told by someone they have held 1000 hp. I have one, and love it.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your idea as well, no need to HAVE to purchase UNNEEDED parts to have what you need. I hope this works.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume (yes I know about the danger therein ) that one of the reasons that they are selling as a complete package is to help eliminate some of the unknown variables in the clutch components. The GM flywheel and hydraulics are known (and tested) to work pretty reliably with the Textralia disk and flywheel. By using the untested parts they are opening themselves up to failures ( and bad reputation) in clutch installs.

By offering a complete package including all of the components they are lessening the chances of failures. Notice I did not say eliminate

But, IMO the risk of these failures would be worth an option of a lower price as long as the consumer understands these risks.

Again just my opinion, but it seems that there are a large number of people out there that are looking for a clutch that will work as close to %100 of the time as possible. Something that is dependable. Especially some of the folks that have gone through 3 clutchs in the past 6 months. Just when we seem to have the "magic miracle" clutch a few months down the road posts start showing up of unexplained failures once a larger installed base is established.

OK, I'm done rambling now.

Last edited by 1madss; 07-06-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is reasons company's sell them as a complete package.They can't warrenty stuff when used stuff is mixed with it and alot of clutch company's balance there clutch as a complete unit meaning is might be unbalanced ussing existing stuff.
Our shop will not do a clutch unless the flywheel is new with the clutch assembly for warrenty issue's Also it is alway's good to replace the slave bearing when it's out.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

I've got about 500 miles on my textralia and it feels good. No track passes yet, but very soon. I used a spec shim it was about 1/8". But I did'nt do the drill mod yet, I wish I would have. I will this winter.
The peddle releases low, I don't like. I bled the **** out of it and it still is not better.
I had a spec 3 with billet steel F/W, 4K miles on it. And it was about done but still hook'n.

I would love it to just be able to change the disc when it's done.

I was told theres a differance in the materials used in differant metals.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

ordered a kit last night...hope i have better luck this time around...i cant afford to keep dumping a "G" out every year when the clutch decides it doesnt want to do its job anymore.
i too will keep everyone posted on the clutch life as i put miles on it.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

My Textralia just arrived yesterday. I also liked the fact that it was balanced as a system from the factory. It goes in when the tranny rebuild is complete.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

I like that idea as well. Im also going to be choosing a clutch soon and Textralia has my vote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Textralia won't warranty tjheir clutch if used with other parts. A warrantied clutch is a very good thing to have.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboDan
My Textralia just arrived yesterday. I also liked the fact that it was balanced as a system from the factory. It goes in when the tranny rebuild is complete.
how many days would ya say it took to receive from the time ya ordered?? just tryin to get an idea on about how long mine will take....they didnt notify me on a shiping date yet.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
WOW.. Peter from textralia has answered my email to him on this within minutes ,very impressive Peter!!!
Thanks Allan, remember the discussion on the phone regarding the continual testing of the friction co efficiency with billet flywheels? We’ve been testing this for over 12 months now and it’s almost ready according to these latest field tests; The first link is Light Weight Steel and the second is Aluminum.... Pete.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41683

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41220
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TWINTURBORAMAIR
how many days would ya say it took to receive from the time ya ordered?? just tryin to get an idea on about how long mine will take....they didnt notify me on a shiping date yet.
It took 2 1/2 weeks. I think the guy in the Texas office was out for awhile and I never heard from him. Pete in Australia got right back to me when I called him.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone interested in what the Australian guys have to say about the Textralia clutch...

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...ight=textralia

Seems to be the clutch of choice. I especially like the comment from the guy running 1.5 60 foot times and 10.2s and no longer breaking driveline parts.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboDan
It took 2 1/2 weeks. I think the guy in the Texas office was out for awhile and I never heard from him. Pete in Australia got right back to me when I called him.
thanks...i ordered mine from Andy..hope i get it soon..sucks not being able to drive the car in the summer.!!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
I've got about 500 miles on my textralia and it feels good. No track passes yet, but very soon. I used a spec shim it was about 1/8". But I did'nt do the drill mod yet, I wish I would have. I will this winter.
The peddle releases low, I don't like. I bled the **** out of it and it still is not better.
I had a spec 3 with billet steel F/W, 4K miles on it. And it was about done but still hook'n.

I would love it to just be able to change the disc when it's done.

I was told theres a differance in the materials used in differant metals.
Andy at A&A who sells the Tex clutch says he never did the drill mod on any of his installs and not even on his own and he says it is not necessary...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Teching In

hi all i have fitted the textralia clutch with the steel billet flywheel and have put around 700 km on it in 2 weeks of hard city and freeway driveing and love it
Old 07-22-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

by chance did your clutch look like it was spray painted yellow??? lol allmost looks like a spec 3 clutch thats been painted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some advice for textralia..