Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fluid Question

Okay, so I picked up a bottle of Valvoline SynPower synthetic last night. I am planning to bleed my clutch and see if it clears up my hydraulic problem. I went to top off the fluid after it started messing up a couple weeks ago, and noticed the fluid is a pretty dark shade of grey; it needs changed.

My question is should I try to get another brand of clutch fluid to put in, or should I dump the Valvoline in and see what happens? I looked for Willwood fluid yesterday but couldn't find any, and the Valvoline was the stuff with the highest boiling point they had. I ran into a few posts where a couple people didn't speak too highly of the Valvoline, but that was back in 2002...

Does anyone have some advice on what fluid to run, preferably something that I can get at Autozone or O'Reilly's or somewhere like that? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to warn you, though I don't have experience myself, from searching on here I generally see people saying NOT to use Valvoline Synpower. People have been having problems with it eating at the seals in the master. Most reccomened not to use DOT 5 either. Say a 3 or 4 mineral based, and non-synthetic is preferred. I'm gravity bleeding mine as we speak right now with just some regular old DOT 3. We'll see how it works when I finish up my clutch install.