Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 Camaro SS vs 93 Stealth TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Camaro SS vs 93 Stealth TT

First off both of these cars are mine so please no haters. We've been trying to get some street races with the 93TT so I thought we'd better see how it stacks up against an average running lightly modded F-Body as we're likely to run into one sooner or later. Mods on the SS: lid, loudmouth exhaust, LS6 intake, Yank SS4000 converter, Moser 12 bolt w/3.42 gears. This car has run an 8.29 @ 83.9 1/8th mile sicne I've had it. It ran an 8.21 @ 86.1/12.63 @ 110 with the previous owner behind the wheel. Mods on the 93TT: Fidanza flywheel, spec stage III clutch, IPO underdrive pulley, Stillen downpipe with no exhaust whatsoever behind it, cheap 15 dollar MBC set @ 15psi but it drops off to 10 PSI quickly after 5000 RPM, various weight reduction with current weight @ 3500 pounds with no driver. It's run an 8.11 @ 85.86 1/8th mile in 40 degree weather and 8.24 @ 84.4 in the heat but never run at a 1/4 mile track. OK, on to the races. I'm driving the SS, my friend is driving the 93TT that piloted the car to the 8.24 @ 84.4.

1st race he gives me the break. I got a good launch with the SS with little or no wheelspin enough that the TT never passes me. I hit 2nd and started pulling slightly on the TT, hit drive and pulled away slowly ending up maybe 2-3 car lengths total ahead at the finish.

2nd race I give him the break. BTW, giving an AWD car the break is a sure way to get your *** handed to you. He took off and got out to about a 3-4 car length advantage. I launched decent again with mimimal wheelspin but just could not match the AWD launch. This race he missed 3rd gear so we both just shut down.

3rd race we finally got a flagman. The flagman dropped his hands and my buddy just nailed an AWD launch. He jumped again maybe 3-4 carlengths ahead of me and it was only about halfway through my second gear that I stopped his pull. Interestingly enough though the SS started back at the TT pretty strong towards the end ending up maybe only 1 1/2-2 car lenths back. It only made up ground from somewhere past the 1/8th mile mark to the end.

I guess I found out a couple of things. 1. Running the 1/8th mile doesn't tell you everything about how a race is going to turn out in a 1/4 mile. 2. Running 3 times in a row in 85+ degree heat on 9b's and stock intercoolers takes a toll on performance in the TT big time as evidenced by how quickly the SS started back at it during the last race. The SS never really pulled hard on the TT the first race before intercooler heat soak was a potential issue. 3. The TT with it's minimal mods is a decent matchup for a mid 12 second F-Body car on the street. It's really a toss-up. I'm just posting this up for informational purposes. Your SS/TT may perform much differently than mine but I think both my cars are a good representation of how lightly modded cars of this type perform. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Smokinstorm; 07-08-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm crying for your camaro a little inside if it has that much stall and is still mid 12s.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

I second that. I ran a 8.44/85 stock with a lid.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Old Drag Racer

I'm crying for your camaro a little inside if it has that much stall and is still mid 12s.

Don't cry too hard. I've got brick hard regular street radials on it that will break into a spin if I go full throttle anywhere in 1st gear. BTW, when the car ran the 8.21 @ 86 it did not have this converter. Also, when it ran the 8.29 @ 83.9 that was before I changed converters also. Believe me, with tires this car will 7 in the 1/8th with absolutely no problem and low, low 12's should not be a problem at the 1/4 mile. BTW, the SS dyno'd at 308 to the tires before this converter. The Moser 12 bolt is probably slowing me down by a tenth or more but I'll take that trade to not have to worry about dumping the rearend at the track. Lemme get some tires and I'll put all worries about me having the slowest F-Body on the planet to rest.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those AWD vehicles can be a handful for a stock to lightly modded f-bod. A raced a local WS-6 with a few mods (not much). And whoever got the jump was gonna win, from a dig I took about 2-3 cars and held him off till about 100, and from a roll he held me 2 cars back to about 100. My trucks an auto though, with a messed up tranny.