Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Tuning After a WET KIT?(What to check?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Tuning After a WET KIT?(What to check?)

Getting a wet kit soon, 100 shot on my heads and cam pretty heavily modded 01 Vette (see mods below). I know there isn't a bunch of tuning required with a wet shot, but to be 100% safe, it is a smart idea to KNOW you car is tuned right once you add Nistrous to eliminate any headaches that can be avoided.

What SPECIFICALLY needs to be checked? I will be able to use a dyno also. What are things that usually need to be adjusted after you install a WET KIT?

Do you have to adjust aur/fuel, richen it up or lean it out, adjust timing? etc etc. etc............

Thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pretty much answered your own question. For safetys sake I would do as you stated.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

As you know, I'm possibly going to go the NO2 in the near future also.

I'm planning to have my car dyno tuned on the nitrous. This way I'll have a separate "nitrous tune" HPTuners file I can load when I get to the drag strip. Before leaving, I'll just reload the N/A file and be on my merry way.

For everyday.........ahem........"street use" I think a 75 shot would be, from all I've read, a pretty safe bet on an N/A tune which is what I may do if I'm going to have a long stretch when I know I won't be going to the track.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see you in the Nitrous Oxide forum Xtrooper. We need more interesting members like yourself.
Just for your information, NX will soon be releasing a new wet nitrous system for the Corvette. I think it will be similar to the Camaro MAF system.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gollum
Glad to see you in the Nitrous Oxide forum Xtrooper. We need more interesting members like yourself.
Just for your information, NX will soon be releasing a new wet nitrous system for the Corvette. I think it will be similar to the Camaro MAF system.
Thanks for the welcome and the information, amigo!
Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

If it is a wet kit, then there is no need for additional tuning in the computer ... I am in the process of installing a NX kit on my 03 GMC along with a timing tuner. The timing tuner is the only option that I am aware of for retarding the timing only while on the spray. With a wet system, all the additional fuel enrichment is handled by the fuel side of the wet system ... if you have a WBO2 setup, you can use this to accurately tune the nitrous/fuel mixture to where you want to be which is usually around 11.5 - 12 to 1 depending on your personal preference and margin of safety. Adjust the jetting to where you want to be and use the timing tuner to retard the timing on the spray and you will be able to dial it in nicely on a dyno.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Tuners's knowledge of A/F for NA and N20. Computer A/F for NA and Jets for N20...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alllooks
Tuners's knowledge of A/F for NA and N20. Computer A/F for NA and Jets for N20...
Old 07-09-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hangslo
If it is a wet kit, then there is no need for additional tuning in the computer ... I am in the process of installing a NX kit on my 03 GMC along with a timing tuner. The timing tuner is the only option that I am aware of for retarding the timing only while on the spray. With a wet system, all the additional fuel enrichment is handled by the fuel side of the wet system ... if you have a WBO2 setup, you can use this to accurately tune the nitrous/fuel mixture to where you want to be which is usually around 11.5 - 12 to 1 depending on your personal preference and margin of safety. Adjust the jetting to where you want to be and use the timing tuner to retard the timing on the spray and you will be able to dial it in nicely on a dyno.
Not getting on you, but how are you figuring how much timing to pull? The majority of ls1/ls6 cars with a 150 or below need no timing pulled. This thing about so many degrees for such and such shot is bunk. Your only guessing. That is why you need to use tuner program and log or dyno tune for timing. Also, if you do not have a wide band for a/f a dyno can take care of that as well. Just going with jets (I know many do) is just guessing again. For optimum power/VE you need tuning.
Robert
Old 07-09-2005, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Actually getting your tune checked for your air/fuel ratio is very important, you can be safe by getting your car tunned a little rich. It won't kill your power very much, and will give you the added piese of mind to know that you won't have any issues. Good luck..
Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robert56
Not getting on you, but how are you figuring how much timing to pull? The majority of ls1/ls6 cars with a 150 or below need no timing pulled. This thing about so many degrees for such and such shot is bunk. Your only guessing. That is why you need to use tuner program and log or dyno tune for timing. Also, if you do not have a wide band for a/f a dyno can take care of that as well. Just going with jets (I know many do) is just guessing again. For optimum power/VE you need tuning.
Robert
As for the timing, I did not actually suggest that he pull any timing at all, just told him what was available to the best of my knowledge ... I would assume that if he has a "heavily modded" motor as he stated that he has also had it dyno tuned as well, which usually includes changes to stock timing (usually advancing the curve, correct?). I did not suggest any "rule of thumb" for him to follow on timing and/or any specific jet combos ...

I agree that he needs tuning on a dyno and stated that as well ... and if he does not have a wide band, then of course most dyno's tuilize them for tuning purposes.

My point was that if he feels his car is properly tuned now, he does not HAVE to change anything to the fuel maps or curves ... the additional fuel and spark retard (if needed) can be accomplished without changing his present base tuning ...
Old 07-10-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand what you were saying, that's why I said not getting on you. However, there was an implication that a timing tuner was needed for timing pull with a wet kit. So, I added that in most cases this is not needed and many just use the rule, this much timing pull for that much n2o, which imo is rather foolish. You are probably correct in this instance that timing may have been added, but a tuner/logger program or a dyno tune is the way to find out. Then an informed decision can be made on how to deal with timing. There are more ways than a timing tuner to deal with timing.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a NX wet kit on the way for my Z06 and have been trying to learn as much as possible about what to do and what not to do. My car will be for street only and my primary goal is to be on the safe side and if I leave a few HP on the table it is fine with me. Many say they spray up to 150 on stock timing. Nitrous Express says to pull 2 degrees per 50 hp shot. My guess is they are being conservative and don't want to get a reputation for blowing up motors.

I am sure that if you have a tuner that really knows what he is doing he can taylor the timing on spray taking into consideration all of the many variables. The question is do you really trust your tuner with your engine? If it blows up do you raelly think he will fix it for you for free because he made a mistake?

I will bet there are very few tuners that have as much experience an NX, NOS, or TNT. I think the best advice for most people is to follow the advice of whoever made your kit. Educate yourself so you at least have an idea if your tuner knows what he is doing. I have talked to a few local tuners that I would not let tune my lawnmower. But if I had not tried to learn something first I would not have any way to know if they were competant or not.

You are right that you should get it on a dyno & check the AFR with a wideband. If you use the manufactures recomended jets you are probably ok but I'm not taking that chance. I will have all the normal safety items--WOT switch, fuel pressure safety switch & window switch. But they are far from fool proof. They won't catch a fuel solenoid that fails to open or a nitrous solenoid that fails to close. In either case the results will be very expensive.

I am looking for a way to shut the system down if the AFR is too lean for any reason. From what I have found so far I am told a Dyno Jet wideband can do that. They are almost 500.00 that I don't want to spend. But if something should go wrong ask yourself what can you get fixed for $500.00?

Also, if you do not already know make sure the traction control is off when on the spray or you will probably be calling a tow truck.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terry s

Also, if you do not already know make sure the traction control is off when on the spray or you will probably be calling a tow truck.

NO I didn't even think of that. WOW I am GLAD YOU SAID THAT
Old 07-10-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad I could help. I am told if you spin enough (which I am sure we will) and the traction control kicks in it is just like hitting the rev limiter and BOOM

I will be putting TC by my arming switch as a reminder for me.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Or use a Lap Trac. It puts car into comp mod any time you start car. Part of my fully automatic n2o system. You can still turn traction control on manually if you want.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

I just spent $5k for a new built 4L65 E Trans. because I got caught up in a race and when it was time for me to race I didn't turn the TC off, and when I launched, POW, my trans was gone....
Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terry s
I'm glad I could help. I am told if you spin enough (which I am sure we will) and the traction control kicks in it is just like hitting the rev limiter and BOOM

I will be putting TC by my arming switch as a reminder for me.
MEE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!