Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping the duel friction centerforce with under 400rwhp, WTF?

Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slipping the duel friction centerforce with under 400rwhp, WTF?

First and formost, I properly broke the clutch in!! Well, I took my vette to the strip and ran good runs for the first visit, then I bought some DR's for my next visit. And after my second run that day, I had some clutch slip and a bad clutch smell. I was dumping my clutch at 4-5grand, but I think that clutch should hold up fine to that punishment! What do I need to do? Should I not launch it so hard or is that kind of launch acceptable with this clutch. Do I need a new clutch? I don't know what to do!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they say "This clutch/disc set is designed for use with engines producing 'high horsepower and torque' output, and any radically altered high performance street vehicles." so it would seem that it should be OK. Having said that, a 4-5k dump with DRs is pretty hard on a clutch. I would lower the rpm with the DRs and see how it holds up. After the racing and it cooled down, does it hold fine now (without DRs)?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why almost everyone will tell you that Centerforce clutches for LS1 cars are crap. Get a RAM power grip and dump the clutch at will .
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Teching In

My Centerforce held up to A season and a half of 5 grand launches with M/T slicks , never had a problem with it until on the 3rd of July it slipped. Brought it home and found that it had came loose from flywheel and ended it's driving career. Honestly I think it's a good clutch maybe not for everyone, but I was happy with it.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Well they say "This clutch/disc set is designed for use with engines producing 'high horsepower and torque' output, and any radically altered high performance street vehicles." so it would seem that it should be OK. Having said that, a 4-5k dump with DRs is pretty hard on a clutch. I would lower the rpm with the DRs and see how it holds up. After the racing and it cooled down, does it hold fine now (without DRs)?
Without DR's the tires just break loose and no problem. Although, If I rev in 2nd and dump, the wheels spin but 3 out of 4 times I get the burnt clutch smell. I'm going back to the track this saturday. I'm gonna lower tire pressure, raise tire pressure, do big burnouts, no burnouts, high rpm launches and low rmp launches logging all results on the corresponding time slip. I hope this will somewhat narrow it down (without blowing my car up)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firewood
My Centerforce held up to A season and a half of 5 grand launches with M/T slicks , never had a problem with it until on the 3rd of July it slipped. Brought it home and found that it had came loose from flywheel and ended it's driving career. Honestly I think it's a good clutch maybe not for everyone, but I was happy with it.
How was it with normal driving after that. Or running it hard on street tires?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Normal driving was great and The only tires I use on the car on the street are DRs. The only thing I can think of is I had to switch to the mcleod master cylinder. If you don't already have that it very well may be your problem. And by the way my car is supercharged, H/C, runs 11's and race weight is 3800lbs. My point is that the clutch should handle what you're putting to it.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firewood
Normal driving was great and The only tires I use on the car on the street are DRs. The only thing I can think of is I had to switch to the mcleod master cylinder. If you don't already have that it very well may be your problem. And by the way my car is supercharged, H/C, runs 11's and race weight is 3800lbs. My point is that the clutch should handle what you're putting to it.
That's what I'm screaming............I have read about the master upgrades for the C5's and was hoping to do it soon. But I'm worried my clutch is scrap now! Not to mention that tonight on my way to watch the races, I noticed a knocking sound as I down shifted into gear (before I let the clutch out). Do you think my tranny is going out now too? I cant win with this car!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slipping the duel friction centerforce with under 400rwhp, WTF?