Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will master cyl adj make clutch slip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Will master cyl adj make clutch slip?

I went to the track with the new spec stg 3 in with 1000 miles of break in. First pass out the clutch slipped bad. I went in to bring the peddle down as it would stick to the floor up high also. I cured the sticking to the floor problem but it would still slip pretty bad , sometimes out the hole and some times on shifts.
I drove it home and since it cooled down, it shifts great now and grabs like a ****. I just took a 200 lb freind for a ride and wehn I grabbed 2nd gear , there was no slip at all just squat and go. Same for 3rd and 4th.

My first thoughts were a weak pressure plate and still not ruling it out but it seems to be holding on the street but The tires grabbed a lot harder at the track the other night.

I will be calling to talk to spec tomorrow , just want to see if this was something I done or is it a weak p/plate.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the drill mod done???? As for the adjustable master...all it does is adjust the height in which your pedal will be, has nothing to do with clutch release or anything. It still will release the same relative to the pedal height / adjustment.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Well with it being up high , the clutch peddle would not come up as fast as my foot and slip out at the very top..
Old 07-10-2005, 04:13 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adjustment is important w/ the master if you have an adjustable on that is. You have to have a little freeplay in there to ensure that the fluid is not heating up & appling the clutch some. It has to have that 'cush' or it can ride the slave & help it to slip.
I usually like to adjust mine hot to get it to the point of least pedal freeplay, work good for me.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I did the drill mod 4years ago and have never had any trouble with my clutches. I have never had trouble getting the m/c adjusted right except this time I started out pretty low and it was sticking to the floor so I called spec and they told me to set it higher . SO I went out 3 turns . That did not feel right so I went back in 1 1/2 turns and that felt better. well now it is in 5 turns more since the track friday night and shifts great and feels good closer to the floor. Now that it is cool , i feels like it is grabbing harder. To test it, I tried my new toy out ( 50hp dry kit) and it held like a champ on the street banging gears as good as ever .

I will still call spec and see what I can do as This may not be over yet and I want them to know there is a problem. I dont want to get screwed next time I go to the track and this thing slips.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I just talked to Spec on the phone and he said it sounds like I am over powereing it. THough it is rated at 680 ft lbs of tq so The other cause of this is a flywheel not turned right. it may have high spots or so but he did tell me when I get it out to send it in and he will check it out . He will repad the disk and check the pressure plate to make sure it is good. If this is the problem I guess I will go with a billet flywheel next time.