Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need expert advice, kinda long...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default need expert advice, kinda long...

ok this is kind of long but ive been reading posts for hours and still dont have the answers im looking for. ill tell u my prob first. ive noticed that everytime i get in the car that when i push the clutch down to start it it makes a clicking noise. it only does it one time and wont do it again til after its been sitting for a while. then 2 times ive left the house and noticed that no matter how hard i try and modulate the clutch that it grans instantaneously and the car jerks like im dumping it. will do it thru all gears for a few minutes then go away. yesterday i noticed that when i was letting off the clutch it was stopping prob an inch away from the top then the pedal was kicking back the rest of the way a second later. and then 2day i got in the car to leave work and backed up then when i went to put it in first the clutch pedal was half way to the floor (same point of engagement) so i pushed it the rest of the way down and put it in first--it was hesitant but went in. i started to roll then went to put it in 2nd and the clutch was down on the floor--no movement at all so i pulled it out of gear and then it wouldnt go into any gear at all. a few minutes later i pulled it up by hand and then drove on and it worked fine. wtf is going on here. the car is a 99 ss with just under 10,000 miles on it. was garaged and barely driven until recently and has become a daily driver. it is still the stock clutch etc. i have raced the car numerous times in the past 2 months with no issues except twice it didnt want to go into 3rd. like hitting a wall when i upshifted. any ideas?? i read a few drill mod write ups but they all were doing a master cylinder at the same time and i have no imediate plans to do so unless its broke. otherwise im waiting til i have the money for a rearend and i will put in my mcleod single disc at the same time.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have the typical hydraulic issues. Dont try to analize it just replace it all while your in there. The clutch set, pilot bearing, the slave, do the drill mod & the master. The 00' & down cars where known for these type issues. Driving the car is not easy on the trans either. I have been there b-4 just where yo are, it's not cheap,but the difference is unreal.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club

well with the mcleod they say to put in an adjustable master cylinder so what else would i need just the 01+ slave cylinder? are the lines different too?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the lines are the same, it is just an updated piece.
If you get the McLeod/CNC master, I suggest taking it apart & honing the master's bore out w/a wheel cylinder hone.Some of them tend to have some roughness in the bore from transfer slots inside & can rip the seals. Do a search for a McLeod master overhaul. That will tell you what & how. It will all bolt right up, the master's kinda fun to get in. Just bench bleed it good & then the slave. It will feel like a whole new car.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
9 Second Club

well i may get the ram master then. my buddy told me last night his mcleods gone out twice on him. i dont want to spend 350 bux to have to take it apart. then i will just buy an 02 slave from chevy right? then do the drill mod on the lines? looks like ill be sending my clutch off sooner than i wanted to.