PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking SES NEED HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blinking SES NEED HELP ASAP!

Well the 2000 SS is at the dealership as I type being dignosed for whats going on, here's the scoop:

I was driving home and immediately turned the a/c on b/c it was like 95 outside. I get about 2 minutes down the road and the car starts stuttering and delaying in acceleration. I make a right turn and it gets worse and then the SES light starts blinking as well. The hesitation seemed to be just while I was drving

2 minutes later the SES light just stays on with the same delays and hestitations. Without knowing what codes what does everyone with Wisdom on this subject think the problem is?
My mods are in my sig if that helps, I also have a 160 t-stat that is tuned for

PLEASE HELP IF YOU'VE HAD EXPEIENCE WITH BLINKING SES LIGHTS!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is doing it sometimes. I have noticed that it only does it when my O2 extension gets wet. It is the O2 sensor screwing up and throwing the A/F ratio off so much that my car is only firing on the drivers side. This is also very bad for the rods in the engine. I would have the dealer check the O2 sensors and replace if needed. Also I would get some connector cleaner from the auto store (alcohol base to prevent rusting) and spray the inside of each connector to ensure proper connection.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
Mine is doing it sometimes. I have noticed that it only does it when my O2 extension gets wet. It is the O2 sensor screwing up and throwing the A/F ratio off so much that my car is only firing on the drivers
Also I would get some connector cleaner from the auto store (alcohol base to prevent rusting) and spray the inside of each connector to ensure proper connection.
thanks man, I will meniton as well that it was raining at the time when all this happened!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, a blinking SES light is VERY bad. I had a Bank 1 PCM cable come loose once... The SES light started blinking and soon after the engine was shut down by the PCM.... those smart-*** computers can make you walk if you don't pay them attention...

CHeck all the wire connections under the hood - especially any that were disconnected during any mods.... PCM don't like headers so you may want to buy a program (LS1Edit, HP, etc.) to turn off the tests for O2 sensors, air pumps, etc.....

Was your car flooded? I'm not sure how a 02s could get wet unless the car was deep under water.... I assume that would definately screw up diagnastics and throw a bunch of nasty codes, however....
Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Yeh, a blinking SES light is VERY bad. I had a Bank 1 PCM cable come loose once... The SES light started blinking and soon after the engine was shut down by the PCM.... those smart-*** computers can make you walk if you don't pay them attention...

CHeck all the wire connections under the hood - especially any that were disconnected during any mods.... PCM don't like headers so you may want to buy a program (LS1Edit, HP, etc.) to turn off the tests for O2 sensors, air pumps, etc.....

Was your car flooded? I'm not sure how a 02s could get wet unless the car was deep under water.... I assume that would definately screw up diagnastics and throw a bunch of nasty codes, however....

No, I didn't have to drive through deep water, I did after the SES was blinking for a while but it was just a steady downpour at the time. I guess I'll find out here in a little while and I'll post the results once the dealership calls
thanks man
Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

robertbartsch:
The O2s don't have to be flooded to act this way. Just the water splashing around is enough to do it.

H/C LS6Z:
I would have the dealership tape the wires and connection to make it more water resistant. My car would shake violently to the point I would turn it off on my own because I thought the engine fell apart internally. The only problem was that it was only running on 4 cylinders (drivers side only) because the Bank 2 Sensor 1 was malfunctioning. It would actually fire on most cylinders (maybe even 8) when I would put it at WOT but at part throttle, it would just shake and wouldn't move for sh**. I'll warn you now that our O2s are $80 each. Can be kinda high if you need 2.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Blinking SES usually means misfiring to the point of potential damage elsewhere, i.e. cats. I've gotten it in the past when a coil went bad. Bet something got wet even though you don't recall driving through anything deep.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
robertbartsch:
The O2s don't have to be flooded to act this way. Just the water splashing around is enough to do it.

H/C LS6Z:
I would have the dealership tape the wires and connection to make it more water resistant. My car would shake violently to the point I would turn it off on my own because I thought the engine fell apart internally. The only problem was that it was only running on 4 cylinders (drivers side only) because the Bank 2 Sensor 1 was malfunctioning. It would actually fire on most cylinders (maybe even 8) when I would put it at WOT but at part throttle, it would just shake and wouldn't move for sh**. I'll warn you now that our O2s are $80 each. Can be kinda high if you need 2.
Did talk to the dealership and they did say I had a misfire, but didn't have enough time before they closed to look into it further. They'll check it out in further detail tomorrow

thats exactly what my car was doing! I think you're propably right on getting water into the connections
Now whats the remedy to this problem? Do they just dry the connections out?
thanks for the help man I think you're propably dead on on whats goin on with my car
Old 07-12-2005, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

if u need o2's let me know.. ill get them for $60 shipped.. bosch OE ones. NIB
Old 07-12-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Well just got the car back from the dealership today, it was the o2 connections so this serves as a warning for everyone with LT's"

Avoid water at all cost with LT's b/c it will casuse a misfire if u get any water at all on the connections!
Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction and especially 2000blackcamaross thanks man
Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H/C LS6Z
Well just got the car back from the dealership today, it was the o2 connections so this serves as a warning for everyone with LT's"

Avoid water at all cost with LT's b/c it will casuse a misfire if u get any water at all on the connections!
Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction and especially 2000blackcamaross thanks man
No problem. It was raining here at lunch today and it did it to me again too. I'm going home tonight after work and cleaning out the connectors and taping them up with electrical tape. That should keep most of the water out.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SlpLS1
if u need o2's let me know.. ill get them for $60 shipped.. bosch OE ones. NIB
Where do you live? I think my drivers side O2 is going out. Plus I know people around here that may need some if you wouldn't mind helping us out with that.