Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 clutch trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 clutch trouble

The car: 2000 WS6 T/A M6, 50,000mi

I've had the car for about two weeks now it has been great...no problems. However, today when I tried backing it out of the garage, it would not go into reverse. The only gear I could get her to go into was 1st and that took some force too. I did notice today tho that when she was in first
(and clutch all the way to the floor) she rolled forward and the RPMs went down as if the clutch was not fully disengaged. When I took it out of first, the RPMs went up and it stopped rolling. I finally gave up and when I got out of the car, I smelled burning clutch. Sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging? But why did it start doing this suddenly? I don't race it, I just cruise and take it easy. Also, I did notice when I first got the car that in order to get her into 1st and Rev, I had to have the clutch all the way to the floor. The T56 is completely new grounds to me and have no idea on how to adjust the hydraulic clutch. Any ideas? Or can someone link me to another post where this has been discussed?

Thanks
Sam

Edit: With the car off, she'll go into any gear just fine except reverse.

Last edited by 69huggerZ; 07-11-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

.:bump:.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your release system has problems. You could try to pump the clutch to get a better release but I would only do that on the way to getting it serviced.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check fluid and for leaks around hydraulics
Old 07-14-2005, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oange ss
check fluid and for leaks around hydraulics
I could not find any leaks around the hydraulics and the resevor is full.

But why did it do this so suddenly? The tranny was just fine and then one day it won't go into gear. Like I said, it isn't raced or even driven hard...its just a weekend cruiser (I've only put 100 miles on it in 3 weeks).

I can't get under the car right now because I can't get it onto the ramps...it won't go into gear. So I'll have to go borrow a jack and some jack stands from a friend.

Thanks

Last edited by 69huggerZ; 07-14-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Launching!

salve took a crap it sounds like
Old 07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

OK. Today we pushed her out of the garage and onto the driveway. We were going to use a come-along to get her onto the ramps. Well just for the hell of it, I started her up and she magically went into gear just fine . So I went and took her for about an hour drive and she drove just perfect...no problems...shifted just fine. When I got home, I parked her in the driveway for a quick wipe down. When I started her up again, she would not go into gear . So I put her in nuetral and let her roll back down the driveway and tried it again...she still wouldn't go into gear . Any ideas...please ? I don't want to take her to the dealer because they are a bunch of crooks.

Thanks much.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Bleed the system and if that doesn't help replace the slave. Might as well replace the clutch as well. If the problem persists replace the master.
These systems just suck.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69huggerZ
OK. Today we pushed her out of the garage and onto the driveway. We were going to use a come-along to get her onto the ramps. Well just for the hell of it, I started her up and she magically went into gear just fine . So I went and took her for about an hour drive and she drove just perfect...no problems...shifted just fine. When I got home, I parked her in the driveway for a quick wipe down. When I started her up again, she would not go into gear . So I put her in nuetral and let her roll back down the driveway and tried it again...she still wouldn't go into gear . Any ideas...please ? I don't want to take her to the dealer because they are a bunch of crooks.

Thanks much.
based on what I have seen, if you don't do anything to remedy the problem, the problem will eventually persist 100 percent of the time. Definitely try bleeding the system first, but if that doesn't work, hopefully you can get the parts you need and get it taken to someone you can trust before it completely goes out on you.

Quick Reply: T56 clutch trouble