Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Howl When Decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Howl When Decelerating

My whole rear end seems to make a clunk/whine/howl noise ONLY while decelerating.

-Both the car and factory rear end have 74K on them.
-I just bought this car not too long ago and according to the seller, he was using RP 75W-90 in the Diff (I'm assuming he installed the RP somewhere after the 500M break-in period...so it's probably almost 4yrs old)
-I recently checked the Diff Fluid and it was both full and clean looking. However I noticed signs of an old seal leak possibly (Hasn't leaked since I bought it 4K M ago)
-Car has only scene the drag strip 3 times (in late 2001).

Any idea's on what would cause this? I have read that it could be a loosened pinion-bearing preload...
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

sure does sound like a loose pinion nut. your going to have to take out the drive shaft, and check the pinion for play (side to side) and if you have a inch pound torque wrench (dial type) pre-load should be about 20-25 inch pounds. But if the crush sleeve is over crushed it's not going to work. If you have never worked on a rear end you might want to take it to a shop. It does get kind of technical some times.....
Old 07-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 04:41 AM
Teching In

A U-Joint has Up or Down Play Right?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A U-joint doesn't have any play in it.

You won't be able to check the pinion preload unless you almost totally disassemble the rear. Carrier / axles need to be out. Take it somewhere that specializes in rear axles and have it looked at.