Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

InTank Regulator Is Bad? - 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InTank Regulator Is Bad? - 02 WS6

I bought an '02 WS6 with 18k miles that was involved in a collision. When I turn the key on and try to start it, the fuel pump runs but no pressure gets to the rails.

So I tested the pressure at the fuel filter(before the T fitting that splits between the in-tank regulator and the primary fuel line to the engine) and the pump is putting out 75+ psi(unregulated) at the filter. So I assume my regulator is bad in the tank.

Does this sound correct? Is it likely something from the collision caused this to happen? (there was no obvious damage to the fuel tank itself, but some rear axle damage).

Can you buy just the regulator, or do they make you buy the whole fuel pump assembly? If this is the case, I would rather convert it to an external adjustable regulator.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jason
Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get a chance to take a look at it last night. One more thing though; the fuel guage needle is quite a ways past the "full" mark. So I'm wondering that might have something to do with it.

Is the fuel pressure regulator mechanically or electrically controlled? If it's mechanical, could there maybe a piece of dirt stuck in the diaphragm or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason