Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How long must you wait after a paint job to color sand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long must you wait after a paint job to color sand?

so, I painted my winter beater car and it looks pretty good. This is experiment #3. After a ton of body work, I sprayed five coats of base and three clear coats. I notice some uniform orange peel and certain parts of the roof apear more slick than others- like the clear is heavier on certain sections of the roof.

How long must I wait after the car has been painted to color sand and remove the orange peel?

I plan on using 1000, 1500, and 200 grit to wet sand and polish with a polisher and wool pad using finesse it II cutting paste, then move to a foam pad using the same polish. After that, I will glaze/wax.

Is it true that the car must dry for a few weeks before sanding? car is drying outdoors/summer temp.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

No the car does not have to dry for a few weeks. Generally you can wetsand and buff in 24 hours. I would check your product sheet and it should tell you when you can sand. Also when going from your wool pad with a heavy cut polish and then moving onto a foam pad its a good idea to use a fine/medium cut instead of using the heavy polish like you do with the wool pad. I would keep away from using a 1000 grit unless you have some really really bad orange peel. 1,500 should be plenty to start off with and you wont have large scratches like the 1000 will give you. Make sure you do the buffing inside if you can. Dont want the car to sit out in the sun absorbing the heat, unless you are absolutely sure you wont burn the clear with your buffer.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Well If You Bake In A Spray And Bake You Should Let The Car Sit For About 2 Hours And Them Itll Be Ok If You Dont Bake It I Would Wait About A Day
Old 07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

I use all 3M products. First Heavy Cut with wool pad, then I go to their Fine Cut with a foam pad, then swirl mark with foam pad, then glaze if needed.

Quick Reply: How long must you wait after a paint job to color sand?