Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 hood w/o baffles and FRA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 hood w/o baffles and FRA

I have spent what I can spend on my car for now so I'm in search of cheap HP now for a while till I hit a big commision check and can afford a cam kit...

I have popped out my baffles in my hood and was wondering if there is any advantage to doing the FRA mod? My thoughts were it can't possibly hurt performance but will it actually improve performance? Just wondering...poor for now gotta get what i can get....

Old 07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If, by "FRA", you mean cutting out the bottom of the airbox to let in the air going over the radiator - it will hurt you. First of all, the air coming up over the radiator will be hotter than that coming in through the nostrils. Plus, then the 2 airflows hit each other at the roughly 70* angle, it will introduce more turbulence.

Honestly, I say simply seal the airbox to the hood using 1" foam weather stripping. I did it, and I like it. I honestly doubt that it helps THAT much, but it CERTAINLY is better than having the thing unsealed.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
If, by "FRA", you mean cutting out the bottom of the airbox to let in the air going over the radiator - it will hurt you. First of all, the air coming up over the radiator will be hotter than that coming in through the nostrils. Plus, then the 2 airflows hit each other at the roughly 70* angle, it will introduce more turbulence.

Honestly, I say simply seal the airbox to the hood using 1" foam weather stripping. I did it, and I like it. I honestly doubt that it helps THAT much, but it CERTAINLY is better than having the thing unsealed.
Good advice, do you think the BGRA system is worth the money?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram

Have to chime in here, the FRA mod picks up air in front of the radiator in the high pressure area before it goes through the radiator, so the air is the same temp as your hood pulls.

IMO on whether it can help, it will force more air into the box creating more pressure/force. However, it could possibly disrupt the flow cancelling any gain from the pressure.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Turbulance can't help things...I guess I'll look into sealing my lid to hood...1" foam? With adhesive on one side right?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01black
Good advice, do you think the BGRA system is worth the money?
Honestly, probably not. When you look into your hood scoops, where the baffles used to be, you can see that some turbulence is probably created. And, the BGRA would definitely smooth out the air. However, the air must then go through the filter. The filter will smooth out most of the air that is going through it.

Of course, this blows my former arguement out of the water about the FRA making the air more turbulent. And, you are right - more pressure would have to be better. But, the air coming up in front of the radiator is still warmer. Maybe only 10 or so degrees, but warmer. It's like blowing across a hot stove - the air will heat up. Plus, you are picking up air that is right on the road. When the road heats up, the air above it heats up. But, the air stays cooler once you get a foot or so off of it.

Finally, even for a best case scenario, you will probably only get a few HP. Certainly not enough to realize a difference by the SOTP dyno. I would just be wary of doing a permanent mod that didn't help too much. Of course, I've done plenty mods that don't help much (like, removing my baffles), jsut cause I could - so I can't preach on that, either. Ultimately, if you want to - do it. It won't hurt or help much either way.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

I took some aluminum metal and bent it up to mimic the BGRA, and then sealed it using foam. It cost me 10 bucks tops for the roll of metal and foam, and it looks really cool with the shiny metal inside the nostrals. I'll have to take some pics-it took me about a half hour to bend the metal and install it, and I didn't even use any screws, it holds in fine. I can't say it made a huge difference, but on the freeway it seems to accelerate better.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by d james
I took some aluminum metal and bent it up to mimic the BGRA, and then sealed it using foam. It cost me 10 bucks tops for the roll of metal and foam, and it looks really cool with the shiny metal inside the nostrals. I'll have to take some pics-it took me about a half hour to bend the metal and install it, and I didn't even use any screws, it holds in fine. I can't say it made a huge difference, but on the freeway it seems to accelerate better.

Gotta see some pics of that..!

Isnt there another guy that has seal kit for like 75.00?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to bring up an old thread but , did you ever get the pics?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my hood with the baffles out and a Whisper Ram Air. It runs alright