Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default switches and relays and tigers, oh my

lol

okay, so i made my trip to radio shack today

i am making a custom switch panel to go in my ash tray

heres what i got, i need someone to check to see if these switches are rated high enough. I will be running relays. Also each switch (except purge) will have 1 LED wired to it, rated at "2.6VDC, 28mA, 10mcd"

my push button for my purge (b/c i think the one with the kit is too big) is 3A at 125VAC. I will run a 30amp (?) relay just to be safe

I also have a switch for:
bottle opener
bottle warmer
arm

warmer and arming switch came with a relay, and i'll buy another 30amp (?) relay for the opener. The switches for those are rated at 10A 125VAC

So how am I looking? I'm not goina catch fire am i?

and my question part 2.

seeing how I'll have 4 relays plus all the regular wiring. Where do you guys put all this stuff? I was thinking about making a nice aluminum or plexaglass panel and mounting them all on there. Any ideas where I can put this? I would look nice in the trunk back by the bottle i think (for car shows) but doesn't make sense to run the main power way back there.

ideas?

thanks guys!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct in running the relays.

Radio scrap sells plastic housings they call project boxes which may fit your needs. I would make it out of a non-conducting material like that.

Sounds good to me. Just test everything thoroughly before putting it all out of sight.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

cool.

i didn't know how much juice would be running through my switches, even with the relays

so where should I mount them? should i put them together and sorta show them off? or stash them away somewhere
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Nobody has suggestions for something slick of where to mount these? or should I hide 'em all?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relays only require less than 1-milla amp to activate, and thus the benifit of using relays: no amp draw through interior. I run a total of 6 relays for safety. Putting them in the trunk somewhat defeats the purpose of running relays, as the idea is to have as short of a run with your high amp wiring. Now bottle heater can be put in the back because reguardless of where you put relay higher amp load wire must still go to blanket. I put mine in engine compartment
Robert
Old 07-14-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

did you hide them? or do you think they would look nice all lined up on a bracket?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got all mine on display and labled. They ring the battery, on the vette there is a isolation shield that runs around batt, perfect location. I think a bracket and nice wiring job would be trick.
Robert
Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

question part 2...

Hide the wires. I hate looking at wires, so I hid mine. What I did for my car was hide everything under the dash -- more specifically, put them with all the other wires beneath the steering wheel. The panel that holds the trunk release button holds almost everything: my ATC fuse block, for 8 ATC fuses ($20 shipped), my NX Activation switches, and my four relays: stage 1, stage 2 (soon), purge & heater. If you want more details (URLs of sites where I got all my parts, finished product pictures, etc.) just let me know.

-somebody
Attached Thumbnails switches and relays and tigers, oh my-dash.jpg  
Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

cool thanks for the post!

it looks sweet

I having started to wire yet, so when I do, if I need some pictures i"ll be sure to ask

i didn't know there was all that empty space up there
Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
...i didn't know there was all that empty space up there
lol, yeah I know. You could fit a dead sheep in there. The real gold mine is when you get right up next to the firewall and to the left and right of the brake pedal. It's where I've put all my other junk: maximizer, wideband and other little crap (some more relays). I might have gone to my glove box, but I already have other junk in there like proof of insurane, flashlight, 5 year old Trojans, and extra NX jets.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Five year old Trojans? used I assume.