Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual guys w/ Flowmaster 1-chambers...How is your ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question True dual guys w/ Flowmaster 1-chambers...How is your ground clearance?

Alright, here's the deal:

I've been running the GMMG cat-back on my LS1's for four years now and just want something different...As good as the GMMG sounds for a cat-back system, the only exhaust set-up out there that even remotely makes the LS1 sound like a true "muscle car" is an X or H-pipe set-up w/ Flowmaster 1-chamber mufflers (10 series) dumped. What about other dual set-ups (bullets, twisters, sweet thunders, etc.) you might ask? They're OK, but still don't have the sound I'm looking for out of this motor (yes, I've already heard them)...Just can't beat that Flowmaster tone w/ true duals though.

So, for the guys that have STOCK ride height cars, do you have any ground clearance problems when out on the rodes? Since I plan on doing this, I will obviously never lower my car...And the car is not a daily-driver, so I'll only be taking it out a little here and there...

Let me know how this has been working out for you all (from experience).

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 07-15-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

my ground clearance is fine, I have 4.25" all the way around except at the muffler its 4". I could get 4.25" at the muffler, but it was almost touching the fuel lines, so I had them move it down 1/4" for clearance. Speed bumps arent a problem because the mufflers are centered between the wheels, so they clear going up and down the speed bump. hope this helps!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, this is with 3" TD's, you'll have great ground clearance if you go w/ 2.5" exhaust
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have pacesetter LTs with 3" true duals, H pipe, and twin Flowmaster Super 40 series mufflers. I have had NO clearance issues, but did have to use the big hammer mod to make clearance for the mufflers under the car. You have to hammer up the dips under the rear seats to make for better clearance for bigger mufflers. Now with the 1 chambers being smaller this might not be required. My car is stock ride height.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

You can search Summit/Jegs website, not sure which, and find the thinnest case that is offered in the 3" one chambers. That's what I did. There are several to chose from in the 3" center in/out.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I appreciate this good info...I was initially worried because many of the guys over at CamaroZ28.com said they were having problems with scraping on bumps, etc. with Flowmaster true duals on their LT1's (I asked the same question about also doing this on my '95 Z28 a couple months back).

Good to hear this works ok though...I didn't figure it would be a problem anyway since I don't plan on lowering the car if I do this...

Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Eibach Sportline w/ pacesetters to 3in pipe to 2 1/2 xpipe to 3in pipe to 2 1/2 one chamber the 3in all the way out the back. The lowest part om my car is the x pipe. it take most of the abuse. The mufllers are fine for the most part. I am very low so i take it easy at all bumps. Yeah I hit alot of stuff but I love the sound.