Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sleeve guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dry sleeve guys

I have a Dry sleeve Katech LS-6 block. After they are through sleeving, it looks as if they use some sort of epoxy in the water jackets. It is only about a inch thick from the deck down. It has a small hole drilled in it in the location of the hole in the head gasket. My question is, some of the epoxy is damaged. To me, it dosen't seem that there would be enough stress on the sleeve to need epoxy at the top of the sleeve. I'm wanting to remove it from all of the jackets because it looks as if it is going to cause problems with cooling down the road. Do any of the other dry sleeve set-ups use epoxy in the water jackets?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes when sleeving, there may be a thin spot in the case afterwards and some use apoxy to reinforce that area. I personally do not think it will help in the long run if thats the case but I would consult with Katech about it and see exactly why its there and see what can be done.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I've already removed and cleaned one side. There were pieces of rolled steel that someone made into the shape of the water jackets in the epoxy. I guess they put in some epoxy, hammered in these pieces of steel, then put epoxy over the top of them. The thing is that it may only be a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. I just don't see the need for it. If there were any place that needed to be reinforced, I would think it would be closer to the bottom of the sleeve, were the side load is at max. After removing the stuff, I measured the thickness from inside the bore to inside the jacket to be .250"-.280" thick depending on where you measured. Hopefully thats enough to hold up.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sound like a big issue, but I would call Steve at RED to make sure. You are talking about big bucks. No one knows more about sleeved blocks than him.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Don't sound like a big issue, but I would call Steve at RED to make sure. You are talking about big bucks. No one knows more about sleeved blocks than him.
Steve actualy PM'd me. He is the sleeve man. I'm waiting to here back from him on a few questions.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I would call them where you got it, or call the guys as SAM and see what they say about i.

I wouldnt start grinding it out before you knew you could, however it appears as you have already started, so hell with it, might as well finish it.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 69firebird
I wouldnt start grinding it out before you knew you could, however it appears as you have already started, so hell with it, might as well finish it.
If you would have seen some of them, you'd have removed them also. Once side looks awesome and professional, the other side looks like a kindigardner with some silly puddy. I removed the bad side.