Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do Monsoon's REALLY suck this bad? Or do I have a defective system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do Monsoon's REALLY suck this bad? Or do I have a defective system?

When I got my 2002 with the Monsoon 6 speaker system, I remember I thought it sounded decent. Nothing too good or too bad.

I don't drive my car very often (it currently has around 3,900 miles on it). I was driving it around this past weekend listening to a radio station, and I was thinking that the Monsoon system sounded pretty bad...possibly worse than when I got it.

Here's the issues that I noticed:
- It sounds like it is coming through in mono and not stereo when playing a radio station, I have to try with a CD.
- I have to turn the balance far to the left for the sound output to be equal, but in doing that it sounds funny.
- I cannot tune the bass/treble/etc. to where it sounds decent period.
- I could swear that I added a new radio station preset and the head unit didn't seem to "remember" the change...I have to try again.

I figure one of two things happened...
Either it always sounded mediocre and I got spolied by my aftermarket system (Pioneer/Rockford Fosgate/JL Audio) in my daily driver. And, since I don't drive the Camaro much, perhaps I never really noticed how bad the Monsoon was?
or
There is something wrong with the Monsoon system, IE it is defective.

What do you guys think? I know that the Monsoon system isn't the best in the world, but I don't remember it being that bad. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You spoiled yourself with an aftermarket system. And with the fading issue, are you covering up the door speaker with your left knee?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
You spoiled yourself with an aftermarket system. And with the fading issue, are you covering up the door speaker with your left knee?
i like my monsoon.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Launching!

I have an aftermarket head unit, but I only bought it for the MP3 player. I really liked the monsoon system (if you keep in mind that it came from the factory). Some people don't like it, just depends on the person.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I thought my monsson was ok, until I blew 1 speaker and had to replace the whole system, because it's all self amplified. I don't think I would ever look for a monsoon setup again.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

With all those symptom - maybe there is actually something defective.

I am quite pleased with my Monsoon 10 speaker system and I have had a killer aftermarket system in the past. I did however add some insulation in some areas to kill vibration and then I spent a considerable amount of time "dialing-in" the EQ settings and adjustments with different kinds of music and media and sat in all four seats while doing it in the garage to get what I felt was the best sound possible with which I am quite pleased. The highs are pretty crisp and peak well, the bass is clean and goes decently low without distortion - but the weak area is in the mid-level - mids are rather muddled and that is where it is most important to spend time making adjustments with the car off and just concentrating on the sound to clean it up as best as possible. It also helps to slide the bass and high levels all the way down and adjust on the mids by themselves and then bump the bass and highs back into place. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a 2003 Ford Explorer, and that system sounds 10x better than my Monsoon. I do know at least 2 of my speakers are blown though, and there is absolutely no kind of bass whatsoever.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they not very helpful in the stereo fourm on camaroZ28.com?

I think your Monsoon system is defective. Mine sounded pretty good until I blew the door speakers. I never had any problem with the balance and I could always adjust the bass and treble to suit the music without any problem. I'd take your car to dealership if its still under warranty.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Are they not very helpful in the stereo fourm on camaroZ28.com?
Shhh...they don't know I am over here...

Nah...plenty helpful. I got the same type of answers on my site, I don't like to limit myself when I am looking for answers, as there is usually more than one. Except for when it is the obvious...

Today I grabbed a couple of CDs that I knew sounded good (311's blue album & Transistor and Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake...good mix of sounds and a nice combo.) and went out to the garage. I sat in the car with the windows up and my knee out of the way. I played some tracks and they sounded pretty good. I played with the balance, bass & treble...sounded okay. Tried the tuner and that sounded okay.

Then I tried the same CD's in my wife's 2002 Malibu (stock system). Yeah...nothing wrong with my Monsoon when using that comparison.

I guess it was just the fact that I am kinda spoiled by the system in my daily driver. I was also remembering that when I was driving the car around thinking that the system sucked, I did have the driver's window down and I was slouched down in my seat, probably with my knee in the way. That was probably it...the loose nut behind the wheel.

The whole point to my asking is that I am probably going to be building a new system this winter, but I didn't want to sell my Monsoon system to someone when it was defective.

So, thanks for the suggestions.