Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced Induction: Good Idea??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced Induction: Good Idea??

Hey all:
Saw my friends Ws6 intake.. a fabricated "Y": coming from the throttle body into two seperate cone filters placed in front of those nostrils of his. I've seen the "Gerrideli" (or however you spell it) C5 forced induction... but not sure if it's a smart choice. Should I be worried about water/rain etc.? I heard that the stock air lid can be fabricated, but the site I got the info at warns against taking too much plastic out b/c ther needs to be something to stop teh water from shootign into the throttle body. is this true? If anyone has heard of this, or can send me some pics of theirs, Id appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have better luck in the forced induction section man

Last edited by LS1 GG; 12-31-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:44 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
You might have better luck in the forced induction section man
Jesus
By forced induction, he means basically a "ram air" intake setup using two cone filters.

Phoenix, the setup I assume you are talking about, is either a custom fabricated one, or the Volant Induction one.

Now you can fab up your own one... However if this is the setup you desire, the Volant one is a nice piece, but pricey.

Thats the Volant setup, two cone filters, and it seals up against the hood. You can buy it from Tbyrne, they are a sponsor on the right----->
I'm sure there are other sponsors who sell it as well, but I know for sure he does.

Now there's a few things here...

#1) A few people run this setup, however... Most of us have decided that the benefits are either two small, or non existant over an aftermarket "Lid." On top of this, it's more expensive than a lid, by a good couple hundred bucks.

#2) You don't have to worry about sucking up water with this aftermarket setup. It's sealed up against the hood, and unless you modify yours to remove the factory baffles, they are still there. Which brings me to my next point. The factory hood baffles don't let much air in at all. This is why I see the aftermarket lid making more power. Even with the baffles removed, the lid flows just as good/better than the Volant setup.

#3) Modifying your factory lid, probably helps. But to tell you the truth, an aftermarket lid is around a hundred bucks. To me, thats decently cheap, and it also looks nice as well. Try Texas Speed & Performance. They have a nice lid, in either black or Carbon Fiber (look). It's $95 bucks, and since you have a '99, you don't need a filter for the AIR system. Pick up a Holley filter for another 40 bucks, and you're good to go. You can buy a K&N, but there's a gasket that comes with it, which in my oppinion is CRAP. The Holley filter fits MINT, no gasket.

Good luck, and I hope all that helps...

Rob

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 07-16-2005 at 04:53 PM.