Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Damn exhaust rattle won't go away!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Damn exhaust rattle won't go away!!!!

I purchased a Flowmaster american thunder after cat exhaust a month ago and have had a rattle. I searched through forums and found out about the heat shield rattle a lot of ppl experience. So I put some screws through it into the floorboard in the back at the front where the tube turns to go up over the axle. This was the only flimsy spot I found. Now its actually happening MORE!!!!!! I'm really pissed off cause my car sounds like *** when it rattles and am considering ripping the damn heat sheild off. Anybody that can tell me where else the rattle could be coming from I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

Last edited by Orange Terror; 07-16-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Mine still does this but with my borla ima have a shop check it out I think the dude charged me 10 last time but he misssed it and he wanted me to pay him again?!?!?! So I need to bring it by again just stop at the shop where you bought them and tell them to fix it it should be free or cheap man!!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
Mine still does this but with my borla ima have a shop check it out I think the dude charged me 10 last time but he misssed it and he wanted me to pay him again?!?!?! So I need to bring it by again just stop at the shop where you bought them and tell them to fix it it should be free or cheap man!!
I bought my kit from Summit and installed it myself, so I'm on my own.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

have u tried to adjust or move the muffler around alittle bit, my flowmaster did that at the beginning but for some reason i guess it fell into place and it stoped. it only did it for me when i first started the car up, but once it heated up it stopped.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
have u tried to adjust or move the muffler around alittle bit, my flowmaster did that at the beginning but for some reason i guess it fell into place and it stoped. it only did it for me when i first started the car up, but once it heated up it stopped.
Yeah, I did that a week ago and it didn't go away. 2 days ago I anchored that shield down and it was fine, figured I had it taken car of. Car sat till this morning and today it rattles.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm, you should do what i am gonna do and get rid of the muffler and weld a pipe where the muffler goes. my friend who has a LT1 has done this with stock headers and Y-pipe and sounds awsome, i figure no muffler there will be no rattle since the flowmaster mufflers are huge ***** F@#!ers.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmmm, you should do what i am gonna do and get rid of the muffler and weld a pipe where the muffler goes. my friend who has a LT1 has done this with stock headers and Y-pipe and sounds awsome, i figure no muffler there will be no rattle since the flowmaster mufflers are huge ***** F@#!ers.
So you think its the muffler rattling?

Lol, yea, it is a big muffler!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

check ur o2 sensors. could be loose and rattling.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

i dont think a o2 sensor will make that bad of a rattle, you can clearly tell that it is coming from the muffler. but yeah i am gonna have my friend ditch my muffler and do the no muffler thing should sound mean as hell especially with a offroad Y-pipe. i dont plan on getting headers either since they seem like such a pain for little gain.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont think a o2 sensor will make that bad of a rattle, you can clearly tell that it is coming from the muffler. but yeah i am gonna have my friend ditch my muffler and do the no muffler thing should sound mean as hell especially with a offroad Y-pipe. i dont plan on getting headers either since they seem like such a pain for little gain.
Well, I got the heat shield away from the muffler now, can stick my fingers in between, amazing what you can do with a prybar, lol. Anyway, that didn't help. Heat shield is eliminated the only thing left I can see that it could be is the pipe is apparently making contact with those suspension bars behind the axle as it comes through, its close sitting there when I look at it from under the car, too close. I've tried adjusting the clamps to get it higher with no luck, looking like its hammer time. As for the O2 sensor, I doubt its that, #1 the rattle is in the back, #2 I had no rattle before installing the cat back.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

my rear exhaust rattle comes from the ypipe to ipipe connection, i need to get mine welded but if i bang my hand there it makes the sound, stupid band clamp isnt working :/
Old 07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hourang
my rear exhaust rattle comes from the ypipe to ipipe connection, i need to get mine welded but if i bang my hand there it makes the sound, stupid band clamp isnt working :/
I don't think I have a problem there, it comes from the back, that would come from under me. But if this doesn't work I'll be looking there.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

DId you cut any pipes at all on install? If so did you clean out any metal shavings in the pipe and so forth? Just a suggestion
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iosigma
DId you cut any pipes at all on install? If so did you clean out any metal shavings in the pipe and so forth? Just a suggestion
cut the old pipe off way back behind the axle. The new pipes you don't have to touch other than sliding them together.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
I don't think I have a problem there, it comes from the back, that would come from under me. But if this doesn't work I'll be looking there.
my rattle that sources from that ipipe point sounds like its coming from all directions of the exhaust, i could have swore that it was a heat shield or something by the over the axle tube but nope when i got it in the air and banged on every point of the exhuast it definately was the joint, the band clamp is just not working to keep it tight and i cant make it any tighter, need to weld them together.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

mine went away after a while, i dont even know which cat-back i have because it doesnt seem stock but it has stock tips, it resembles a flowmaster muffler though but i dont think it is. probably is stock.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Friend of mine has the American Thunder Flowmaster on his '00 WS6. Sounded good for a month or two, now you can hear the exhaust rattling. Sounds like marbles in a can. The exhaust clears everything around it. It's just a piece of **** and sounds like the rattle is an internal thing. Hopefully that's not it, cause I'm sure you spent over 300 for that system.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Friend of mine has the American Thunder Flowmaster on his '00 WS6. Sounded good for a month or two, now you can hear the exhaust rattling. Sounds like marbles in a can. The exhaust clears everything around it. It's just a piece of **** and sounds like the rattle is an internal thing. Hopefully that's not it, cause I'm sure you spent over 300 for that system.
Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat, Flowmaster and summit will be getting calls daily till they replace it then. I haven't even had it a month yet.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

i had a few rattles in my exhaust when i put it all on. I had a sheet of high temp rubber lying around so i wedged that in between the parts that were rubbing, ie. where the I pipe and the y come togather and a few heat sheilds. try slipping something like that under the band clamp, or junk it and get a good stainless u-bolt clamp.
Joe
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FoxTa
i had a few rattles in my exhaust when i put it all on. I had a sheet of high temp rubber lying around so i wedged that in between the parts that were rubbing, ie. where the I pipe and the y come togather and a few heat sheilds. try slipping something like that under the band clamp, or junk it and get a good stainless u-bolt clamp.
Joe
my flowmaster kit came with stainless u bolt clamps, so I'm not even using the band clamp anyway.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Damn exhaust rattle won't go away!!!!