Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both fans will not come on at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both fans will not come on at all

I started using my A/C now here in South Florida. My temps no matter what kind of driving I do NEVER go above the 155 white tick mark on my temp gauge (regardless if its accurate), now when I turn my A/C on the temp goes straight past the 210 mark and my engine detonates like crazy, so its friggin HOT.

I got out of my car to listen for the fans and heard nothing. I also turned the car off, kept the key on and the A/C on "max" and the fans were dead stopped.

Shouldn't the fans be 'ON" even with the engine off and the key "on" with the A/C on "max"?

What can a brutha do????????? Both fans not working seems a little coincendental. The fans were working like a charm about a month ago.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

maybe there is some wire loose or something, did u check the fuses and see if you blew one of those. and your engine detonates like crazy what do u mean does your SES light come on or does it run weird??
Old 07-16-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
maybe there is some wire loose or something, did u check the fuses and see if you blew one of those. and your engine detonates like crazy what do u mean does your SES light come on or does it run weird??
As soon as it gets way up there near the 210 mark any acceleration from a stop light or when my tranny shifts to a hire gear it will detonate clearly. It only does it when its hot. Sounds like the rattling of metal marbles inside the engine. If I turn the A/C "off" and turn the fans on high with the temp contoller to hot, it cools off pretty quick and the detonation stops completely.

I never get SES codes/lights.

Where are the fan fuses at?

Old 07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

What do I look for on these big fuses to know if they're blown?

Can I buy these at Discount Auto or Pep Boys?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

they should be testable by getting a fuse testor its a pointy rod thing with a light at the end and you basically ground it to something and if the light comes on the fuse is fine but if it doesnt the fuse is ****. and yeah they should be the big white ones one of them at least. check the fuse box cover the one under the hood.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quickin
What do I look for on these big fuses to know if they're blown?
Check them with a multimeter set to Ohms. No reading or next to nothing means the fuse is blown. NAPA has them in my area.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the PCM commands the fan to run when the system reaches a certain pressure. when the engine isnt running, the A/C compressor isnt generating that pressure, so no, the fan will not come on. and look for high/infinity resistance to indicate a blown fuse. if you have a multimeter check th fan motors also. and the 3 relays under the hood.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
and look for high/infinity resistance to indicate a blown fuse.
Beg to differ with you Sir. A high resistance indicates a GOOD fuse.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

OK boys, try to figure this one out.

I started my car a little while ago and let it idle in the driveway for 30 minutes, with the A/C on "max". The bastard never even reached the 155 degree mark. THE FANS started up as soon as I put the A/C on "max", they never turned off. I put my hands in front (behind really) and felt them both blowing hard. I also heard them kind of kick in a little faster while I was wiping down my engine and they started blowing alot harder.

So I figured WTF. I took it for a ride. The temp immediately went right up to 210 and then a little bit past it. Maybe 15 minutes of city driving. I pulled over. left the engine running and the fans were dead stopped the entire time.

I'm ready to tear both of these fans out, toss'em in the garbage and get all new wiring from the PCM on.

If I turn the A/C 'off" after its hot as hell, it cools down quick and the car performs perfectly with the temp never reaching the 155 mark.

Whats going on man? They don't work once the car is hot
Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Ttt Ttt
Old 07-16-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My fans never worked at all untl I reset the temp that they come on at with HP Tuners. Stock settings were so far up there they never worked.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

watch out mechanics and let an electrician in here...lol

i would get a haynes repair manual on your car. in the back they have wiring schematics of everything on the car. there should be a schematic of everything on that from the pcm to the fan itself. if theres problem with the circuit or if there is another fuse or relay somethere that is causing the problem you could locate it.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oldschoolz28
watch out mechanics and let an electrician in here...lol

i would get a haynes repair manual on your car. in the back they have wiring schematics of everything on the car. there should be a schematic of everything on that from the pcm to the fan itself. if theres problem with the circuit or if there is another fuse or relay somethere that is causing the problem you could locate it.
The fuses must all be good. The fans are good and they even come on with two separate speeds.

The problem is: After the engine gets too hot they will not come on. I pulled over today after the temp needle went past the 210 mark and they were not on and they would not come on. I had to shut off the A/C so the engine could cool down.

It seems that when the car is hot and the A/C is still on, the fans will simply not come on anymore. If the car is hot and the A/C is turned off, everything is just fine and the fans are awesome and the car will never get hot no matter how I drive it.

Last edited by Quickin; 07-16-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what thermostat do you have in there? did you check the relays like i said?each relay has its own fuse to check. and there are enough electronic troubleshooting sites on the internet for me to not have to repeat myself on how to check resistance.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
what thermostat do you have in there? did you check the relays like i said?each relay has its own fuse to check. and there are enough electronic troubleshooting sites on the internet for me to not have to repeat myself on how to check resistance.
160 theromstat.

I'm mechanically declined man, I don't know where the relays are. Let alone have a meter to check anything.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in my future.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Beg to differ with you Sir. A high resistance indicates a GOOD fuse.
You obviously know nothing about electricity so don't give advice for it. A fuse is like a wire. If it is good there should be zero resistance. If it is blown there is infinite resistance. As an electrical engineer I can guarantee that one. lol
Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Teching In

maybe it is a pcm problem and not an electrical problem. the fans ARE working just at the wrong times. maybe you could have a scan tool hooked up to see what is goin on. perhaps the pcm does not know when to turn them on or its getting an innacurrate reading from a sensor somewhere...you never know.

although it could still be electrical. there are going to be several relays and fuses between the pcm and the actual fan. you could have a relay that is sticking, or isnt staying closed when you turn the ac off. i dont know ive never really tore into that part of the wiring.
never know till you check. but the whole thing sounds like a thermostat or temp sensing problem to me.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oldschoolz28
maybe it is a pcm problem and not an electrical problem. the fans ARE working just at the wrong times. maybe you could have a scan tool hooked up to see what is goin on. perhaps the pcm does not know when to turn them on or its getting an innacurrate reading from a sensor somewhere...you never know.

although it could still be electrical. there are going to be several relays and fuses between the pcm and the actual fan. you could have a relay that is sticking, or isnt staying closed when you turn the ac off. i dont know ive never really tore into that part of the wiring.
never know till you check. but the whole thing sounds like a thermostat or temp sensing problem to me.
Well, I hope the dealer doesn't charge too much to check it out.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Sebring 00
Check them with a multimeter set to Ohms. No reading or next to nothing means the fuse is blown. NAPA has them in my area.
Almost right, If it reads over 10 ohms or O.L. its blown. If its 0-10 then its fine...