Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift points...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift points...

I have a stock Lt1 with 76k miles... wondering if i jumped the shift points up what id get performance wise otta it. im borrowing a friends hand held programmer and i wanna do that and the other things i can do on that. something cheap that will benifit me. i wanna hear the exhaust a lil more but dont want to kill gas millage or have the engine working to hard and not beniffiting me. im wondering what a optimum shift would be... like 3k? 3.5k?
Thanks! I appreciate it
Old 07-17-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just leave them be. You won't see any gains on a stock lt1 adjusting the shift points.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Teching In

i had a hypertech on mine, changed shift points to about 6000, it made the car punch a lil harder into the next gear, and during roll races i felt a difference, not a big one but some... also a hypertech lets you change your line pressure settings, so you can make shifts firmer

something you would want to do is put the 160 thermostat in the car, cuz if you shift higher your tranny will run hotter and burn up more quickly, the stat and the tuner should work together to keep your stuff runnin cooler, most programming profiles are actually made with a cooler running engine in mind,so its performance oriented and it will keep you from breaking stuff.

i liked my hypertech, i say do it, it wont be a big diff, but when you start adding more bolt ons, like exhaust, intake, pulley, ac delete and so on that lil bit of help from the programmer starts to add up.