Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside

Well I know most have seen this done on other cars but I figured I'd share mine. i hadn't seen it done on a white one yet so here it is for those who are thinking about doing it. I like it, i was a little undecided at first but then i found one on ebay for 45 bucks shipped and said what the hell. Let me know what you think. Good or bad.
Attached Thumbnails Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside-100_5113.jpg   Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside-100_5110.jpg   Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside-100_5111.jpg   Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside-100_5112.jpg  
Old 07-16-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great
Old 07-16-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks man, I think I might keave it the way it is. I was debating on polishing it to match the wheels. Right know the wheels are real dirty so it looks ok LOL.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

what about painting or anodizing it black to match the rest of my accents. There are several black accents on my car including a black bird on the hood.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Let me know what you think. Good or bad.
I'm not a fan of the billet gas door myself. To each his own though....
Old 07-16-2005, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

looks good man, wonder how it would look on a silver t/a?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

any of the sponsers sell that????
Old 07-17-2005, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never liked the plain billet gas door but I think that your idea of matching the black on the rest of the car would look badass.
James
Old 07-17-2005, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

It looks OK. But why would you want the gas door to stand out? Isnt the object to make the lines blend more? I think black would just look more out of place than the polished...
Old 07-17-2005, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

i'm sorry, but that looks TERRIBLE. looks decent on the Eclipse, the Bullitt Mustang, and trucks I suppose... not not on a T/A.

Those exhaust tips sticking half of a foot from behind the bumper are just as bad though
Old 07-17-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i'm sorry, but that looks TERRIBLE. looks decent on the Eclipse, the Bullitt Mustang, and trucks I suppose... not not on a T/A.

Those exhaust tips sticking half of a foot from behind the bumper are just as bad though

Yeah, I realize from previous threads people have made on others cars that it's about a 50/50 vote on the door. With your color car it is to bad you don't like it. I would have never hesitated doing it if I had a silver or pewter T/A.

As far as the exhaust tips go, when you are standing behind the car the tips sit flush with the furthest point of the bumper. It was checked with a level.
I would like them to be tucked in just a little more though. I think the pic from the side just made it look that way. However I would have to buy new tips for this to be done. they are 4'' inside roll tips and are 20'' long, when I had a new muffler put in and we tried to save the tips that is as far back as I could get them.

Thanks for yours and evryone elses comments, I definately didn't expect everyone to like them. I also didn't expect for someone to point out other things they hated about my car that was off topic. Oh well, anyway from the pic in your sig your car looks good, real clean looking.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Launching!

I don't think it looks too bad, but again, it's YOUR car, you do what you want to it. Surprised no one has throw the "RICE" comment out there yet
Old 07-17-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'm sure some non educated idiot will throw that in there eventually, when in all reality this was started way back in the day on what we call classic cars today. But in effect since the only billet door that fits our cars comes off of an eclipse someone could call it rice.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

dude, i think it looks awesome. i've been wanting to get one for my silver ss but from what i've seen most people use the eclipse one and it's just a tad off. yours looks perfectly flush. what ebay seller did you get it from? i don't suppose our quarter panels have the same curvature on them. i won't get one unless it's flush.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

They pretty much have the same curvature, at least the fuel door does. How ever it still takes a little grinding and finagleing to get it right. It is the fuel door from an eclipse of course. the guy I got it from only had one. I do believe there are aftermarket makes of the fuel door for the eclipse rather than buy an oem mitsu. one.
Thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

did it require cutting? how 'bout a quick write up?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Well first you have to remove the existing fuel door which is held on by rivets so you have to drill those out. once that is out of the way I placed the billet one in the reccessed area and and grinded and trimmed and bent back a little of the body metal behind the black plastic fuel bibb. so of course you have to remove that too. Once you have it to were it fits flush you might have one or two areas where you can drill a hole in the body metal behind the bibb where some of the bolt holes might be able to bite. for all the other bolt holes that circle the fuel door you have to use washers to sandwich in between the body metal and nuts. thats really about it. all in all once you have the old door off you will see what areas need trimming, grinding etc... and it's just a matter of fabbing something up to make it fit. Everything will be coverd up and hidden once the bibb and door go back on.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigSmallBlck2GZ
any of the sponsers sell that????

No, try ebay. It is a fuel door option for the mitsu. eclipse I beleive 2000-2005
Old 07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's you car so you can do whatever you want, but my opinion is that is just doesn't look right.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AssKickingLS1
It's you car so you can do whatever you want, but my opinion is that is just doesn't look right.

Yeah, not evryone likes them of course. I will admit it took a little while for it to grow on me. thanks for the honesty.

Quick Reply: Billet fuel door on a white Trans Am, Pics inside