Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP Rod bolts, Resizing Rods????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARP Rod bolts, Resizing Rods????

I've been contemplating swapping rod bolts for the ARP ones. I've searched & have seen where most people aren't having the rods resized. The motor will be out of my car when I do this due to some other work I'm doing to the motor, so it's not that much work to do this. I also can't find any threads on if someone has lost a motor by swapping rod bolts & not resizing the rods.

Can anyone give me any instances of where someone has messed up their motor swapping rodbolts on stock rods without having the rods checked for resizing?

Or if you've done a rod bolt swap, how long ago, how many miles on the motor since & any funny noises like sloppy bearings or lower than normal oil pressure?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

TTT, someone has to have an answer for me?????
Old 07-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Launching!

do a search on Katech's they weigh about the same as stockers and have been developed so you dont have to resize the rod ends
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Launching!

I have a comment on the other way around
I blew a rod ON STARTUP!!!, the starter was cranking the engine!!!!
postmortem analisis showed that (because is a craked rod design) there should be NO VISIBLE GAP betwen the cap and rod, the bolts on the offending rods where fairly easy to turn (unbolt) so I rechecked the remaining rods, Three more where showing gap, I dissasembled one showing gap and the bolts where somewhat LOOSE, I checked the clamping torque (Iknow, I know torque-angle, torque angle) of the remaining, and certainly they were loose A LOT.
it was certain that the bolts streched... so far GM noticed in early production engines (mine is a Fbody ´98 very early prod number) and changed the bolts.
after this lesson I installed the best ARP rod bolts, with no sizing watsoever (I did now know!) and they bolted like a charm....
Old 07-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/346532-arp-rod-bolts-just-swap-them-w-factory-ones.html

Quick Reply: ARP Rod bolts, Resizing Rods????