Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

PLEASE HELP!!! Pinion angle/vibration question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 AM
m6z
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP!!! Pinion angle/vibration question?

I installed a bmr adj. ta and set the pinion angle (off the pinion only) to -2 (down towards ground). All was fine for about 10 days/300 miles, serious vibration started 55mph on up. Did some more reading and checked the angle on the trans -4 deg. (4 deg. down at tail shaft) so i then set the pinion angle to +4 deg. (now both angles are equal but opposite trans -4/pinion +4) Vibration is still there. So i replaced the u joints/tried another ds/clecked ballance on wheels and the vibration is still there!!!

At this point the only thing left that i can think of is i still have the pinion angle wrong? or its some thing in the rearend?

(all the angles were checked on a drive up lift that was level)

what do you think b & c angles should be? or is it something else?

thanks,
doug
Old 07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'B' & 'C' are the ones to be concerned about and measured.If you're after a -4 degree setting,the difference of angles between 'B' & 'C' should be 4.-4 if the pinion is pointing downward in relation to the driveshaft,+4 if the pinion is pointing upward in relation to the driveshaft. you could set for -2 and see if vibrations still exist.If vibrations are gone,then you know you heading toward the proper setting.A -(minus)figure is desirable as axle/rearend torque rotates the housing upward to a +/- situation.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do not go by the transmission. Pinion angle is set in relation to the driveshaft and rear end yoke. Your driveshaft (stock form) should be 1.5* neg.(down). W/ the BMR trans mount torque arm, set your rear end yoke @ 90*. This will give you a pinion angle of 1.5* which is accecptable w/ your set-up. Also, driveshaft should be in transmission tailshaft all but a 1. to 1.5, or vibration could occur. Use a quality pinion angle guage. (craftsman)
Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

I Found Out What The Vibration Was. I Replaced The Tailshaft Bushing(the Bushing That The Driveshaft Yoke Rides On) And So Far So Good.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the bushing broke?? I have the same vibration problem you described, except I haven't changed my TA or anything of that nature.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

well it was worn, its a brass bushing.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

How do you change that? I can't figure out for the life of me how to get rid of it... it's driving me nuts and tearing my synchros apart at the top end of the track. I figure it's the next step in trying to solve this friggin problem.