Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads to use for nos+boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads to use for nitrous+boost

What are my choices when picking up HEADS to use with nos+8lb boost on a forged 370....Thanks

Last edited by zohhhsix; 07-21-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

DO YOU GUYS SEE MY MESSAGES???????????????????????? I NEVER GET ANY REPLIES
Old 07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most any head will do fine (you will need to do other stuff, depending on compression). Tell us your budget. I'd go with some good ported 6.0L heads if you are.

Big things we need to know. Current setup, compression, desired compression. How much nitrous.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR 205 since they have a big deck....less likely to blow headgaskets under load. TSP has them on sale for $2000.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

If you want to be really picky about it you should use a head and inlet manifold with the smallest volume you can and still get the power you require.
The power on boost should not suffer too much.
The larger the runner volume the more the NOS will go to the gas phase. This will fill the cylinder with NOS gas instead of NOS liquid and will give you less power. However as the time spent on the juice is going to be <0.01% of the time then go for heads that suit the boost.
Yes this is picky!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tommy Tucker
If you want to be really picky about it you should use a head and inlet manifold with the smallest volume you can and still get the power you require.
The larger the runner volume the more the NOS will go to the gas phase. This will fill the cylinder with NOS gas instead of NOS liquid and will give you less power. However as the time spent on the juice is going to be <0.01% of the time then go for heads that suit the boost.
Yes this is picky!

So, I was to get AFR heads.....I should get 205 not 225?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Please, for the sake of Fast and Furious, please do not call it NOS. NOS is a company, nitrous is what you are referring to.

You'll want an AFR setup with ARP head studs if you're spraying more than a 200 shot - this will keep you in the safe range easily.

And BTW, nitrous always enters the combustion chamber as a gas unless it is a wet kit. If it is a wet kit, then it is mixed with fuel.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Tucker
Yes this is picky!
Where did you ever get this info? Nitrous is a gas. At a certain temperature the nitrogen oxygen bond is broken and now the oxygen rich charge (big amounts) is free to accomodate more fuel and give a bigger bang, resulting in more power.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been.
N2O is a gas at room temp (boiling point is -129.1°F). It remains a liquid while it is under pressure in the bottle. The bottle pressure is important as it also provides the motive force for the N2O (there is no pump as there is for fuel).
In an ideal situation the N2O nozzle is fed by liquid N2O and atomises this as it is injected into the intake runner. It's still a liquid but in tiny droplets so that it can mix with the air and the atomised fuel droplets too.
Inevitably the instant reduction in pressure and increase in temp causes evaporation to the gas phase (vapourisation) to begin and cools the air charge as it does so. Idealy this vapourisation should be delayed as long as possible allowing more N2O into the cylinder (liquid takes up MUCH less volume than gas). If the N2O is allowed to vapourise prematurely the additional fuel added will be less and hence less power will be produced (lower cylinder pressure).
The parameters for the system are fixed as long as the N2O and fuel pressures are constant, but the ultimate conditions will be different for each engine. Ideally (for max power) the atomised N2O would enter the cylinder with no vapourisation along with atomised fuel.
The N-O bonds break up at +572°F freeing the oxygen up and producing N2 as the buffer gas. This only occurs in the cylinder during combustion conditions.
You may be interested to know that 44 (about 3.5cm³) grams of N2O liquid would occupy 24 litres of space at room temp and pressure. So filling the cylinders with N2O gas would be very slow and wouldn't give a big performance gain.
Please join in if you think I am wrong on this.

Last edited by Tommy Tucker; 07-22-2005 at 05:59 AM.