Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Mount/Dis-Mount tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mount/Dis-Mount tires

Anyone do this, Or know of a cheap place that will do this. I went to Les Schwab yesterday and they wanted almost 80 bux to take my tires off my wheels and put a different set on Is that the norm, or are there better places to get this done??

Also, Who mounts slicks onto wheels?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by strobelite
Anyone do this, Or know of a cheap place that will do this. I went to Les Schwab yesterday and they wanted almost 80 bux to take my tires off my wheels and put a different set on Is that the norm, or are there better places to get this done??

Also, Who mounts slicks onto wheels?
You don't want to find the cheapest place, but rather find someone or some shop that can do it competently. I just had Les Schwab do my wheels but they mucked one up!! So even those that are suppose to be very competent can screw up. My wheels are from a 96 Corvette GS and they were perfect until they got their hands on them!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Sears, dismount is free, and static balance is $9 or $15 depending on your wheel size. Anyone can mount slicks as long as they're not mounted to the car.

Also, Foster's Wheel Service in Ballard does nice work at $15/wheel. Negotiate price up front.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by narcszm
At Sears, dismount is free, and static balance is $9 or $15 depending on your wheel size. Anyone can mount slicks as long as they're not mounted to the car.

Also, Foster's Wheel Service in Ballard does nice work at $15/wheel. Negotiate price up front.
But sears can do 17" wheels at most, no more than that
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For slicks I would look to someone outside of the major chains. You need to find someone who will do them right and even screw the rims and then balance them.

I would not trust any of the les schwab jackasses to mount them, they wouldn't even mount my front tire because they were not dot approved.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

If you find the right shop, they will sometimes mount race tires for free. I take mine to Discount Tire in Everett and they've always done a great job mounting my slicks - for free.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
If you find the right shop, they will sometimes mount race tires for free. I take mine to Discount Tire in Everett and they've always done a great job mounting my slicks - for free.

Daughter Benifits eh

I use Omni in Kirkland. Discount tire seems to be a good call as well
Old 07-20-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

AJ's in Woodinville swaps my truck tires twice a year including inside rim balance for $30 (not inc tax). Not sure if the military discount has anything to do with it
Old 07-20-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

harbor freight sells a tire mounting unit thats will pay for itself after mounting 4 tires.

Quick Reply: Mount/Dis-Mount tires