Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint Guns and compressors

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Guns and compressors

I'm looking for a good quatily paint gun, doesn't have to be the best of the best but a decent gun. I am setting up a model shop at my office and I just had a spray booth installed. Can't have a spray booth and use rattle cans.

I'm also looking for a good compressor for it, I was thinking a 20 gallon or something around that size.

Thanks fellas.

Pork
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will want a bit bigger than a 20 gallon compressor if you plan on spraying anything of decent size. I have a 33 gal and it works okay for airbrushing, air tools, and spraying smaller parts with a gun, but if you were going to be doing anything like the size of a hood or bigger you will want bigger than 20 for sure. Spend a little extra now and get a 50 or 60 gallon and you won't have to worry about updating in the future.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I use a 6.5HP 33 gal Craftsman compressor almost everyday for spray fuel rail covers and other small parts. It does a great job and is pretty compact for a home shop.

As far as guns go, I only use the best, IMO, Binks M1-G HVLP.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Sharpe and SATA make great guns (I prefer gravity fed). I've seen the results, if used properly, it’s awesome. Also Sharpe sells combo kits for primer and top coat. As far as the compressor goes. The larger it is the longer you can spray without having to stop. What I've used before is an 80 gallon Craftsman seemed to never run out, but if you want a smaller size 50 to 60 will work well also.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I've got a SATA gravity fed gun brand new in box that my dad ordered just before he died. My mom would be willing to sell it, though I don't know a price. I've also got alot of other used SATA's.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pork.........

I'am in NC also and no matter what gun/compressor you get, the key is to keep the spray air dry....and I mean very dry! Invest in a quality seperator/dryer and use a micro filter at the gun. The high dew points/ relative humidity we have now can cause problems.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your not looking to spend a fortune get a devilbiss finishline 3 or something around there. I had one and really like it. You can pick them up for about $120 on ebay.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Sebring 00 is correct also I forgot to mention that. I would recommend that you use more then one, I personally use 3.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by indoes
Sebring 00 is correct also I forgot to mention that. I would recommend that you use more then one, I personally use 3.
Yep, I will use one for primers with a larger tip. One for base colors, and one for just clear. Then Of course you have your smaller touch up guns that you can use on smaller objects without having to break out a full size hvlp. You can probably get by with just one but its just much easier having different guns for different materials.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot guys I think I got a good start for the shop. I don't plan on doing any car part painting.....yet (wink wink) This shop is for my model shop at my office. I"m a product designer and I'm gettin tired of paying out the ying yang for someone else to do it.

Instead of getting 3 guns could I just get different cans? I'm basically going to have Blue, Yellow, Black, Red, Gray, White. I was going to use rattle can primer for the base coat since I need to do finish work on the models before they go to our marketing team.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Instead of getting 3 guns could I just get different cans?
You'll still need to clean out the gun between colors/clear, so it kindof defeats the purpose. Also, if you're spraying everything else though good quality guns, I'd spray the primer too. Every step in painting determines your results, and skimping on one of the more important steps isn't a good idea.