Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe padding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y pipe padding?

I am starting to finally get to put the exhaust back on the car. I have the Hooker y-pipe and right now, without the back of the exhaust, its resting on the drive shaft loop, or whatever the factory thing is. I have a feeling this will rattle...is there anything i can put in there, like padding that will take the heat?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just removed it all together.Most people take it off.Mines been off for over 3yrs.
By the way I have the hooker Y as well.

Just wanted to add that you can also shim the bolts with washers to lower the brace.I'd just take it off.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

what exactly does that brace do? just to keep your drive shaft from falling out? stiffen the chassis any?

I was going to shim it with washers but I was afraid it would still rattle. I dunno, I don't have the exhaust on yet

thanks man!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

I put mine back on. Just take it off, beat it into a new shape and put it back on.

I would not go without it. It must stiffen the chassis.

GM did not waste money on these cars!

If it did not need it, it would not be there!!

Good Luck
Old 07-19-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant see it doing any kind of stiffening.Ok maybe a little.Ive got sub-frames for that.I really dont see a need for it.The majority of people I know dont use it.And once you start making alot of power most people get a real driveshaft loop.
Besides you'll lose a couple of pounds.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

cool thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine off too. As far as padding goes I took a piece of rubber hose, split it length ways, and siliconed it to the trans mount brace between that and the Y pipe, and it works awesome. It doesn't melt and the silicone keeps it from vibrating out. When you start modding get ready to do some modifications to get everything right. Good luck!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Mine is out too. Actually my drivers side Y bangs as the engine goes down to the right due to clockwise mechanical force and just the its opposite on the pass (more room). I think that padding is supposed to prevent this on the stock Y. Mufflex clamp with the stopper on drivers side of the Y will work the same.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been out for a year.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I took mine off too. As far as padding goes I took a piece of rubber hose, split it length ways, and siliconed it to the trans mount brace between that and the Y pipe, and it works awesome. It doesn't melt and the silicone keeps it from vibrating out. When you start modding get ready to do some modifications to get everything right. Good luck!!!

how would that not melt the rubber? i would think it'd be pretty hot at the end of the Y
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Mine was out for along time and everthing was fine (I just replaced it with a driveshaft loop acouple of weeks ago). You know that my car has seen plenty of street time and plenty of abuse at the track. The thing doesn't brace ****, you can bend it in a circle with your hands.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Mine was out for along time and everthing was fine (I just replaced it with a driveshaft loop acouple of weeks ago). You know that my car has seen plenty of street time and plenty of abuse at the track. The thing doesn't brace ****, you can bend it in a circle with your hands.

Well said sir!..
Old 07-20-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

That thing doesnt do ****. Anything you can bend with your hand will not have any kind of structural rigidity whatsoever. If anything, it flexes with the car.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just take it out. That's actually what Thunder Racing does when they install them. Most of their cars don't have them.

Or, do like I did, and use it to hold the y-pipe. My y-pipe sits farly low, so I used that to pull it up into the car. It is putting so much pressure on the y-pipe that there is no way it will rattle. It keeps everything from moving around down there. I can literally take a hold of my exhaust and try to shake it and it does not budge. Here's a pic of mine.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

awesome thanks guys

once again Andrew helps me out. Are you my daddy?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Just take it out. That's actually what Thunder Racing does when they install them. Most of their cars don't have them.

Or, do like I did, and use it to hold the y-pipe. My y-pipe sits farly low, so I used that to pull it up into the car. It is putting so much pressure on the y-pipe that there is no way it will rattle. It keeps everything from moving around down there. I can literally take a hold of my exhaust and try to shake it and it does not budge. Here's a pic of mine.
did u have to bend it any? i couldnt get mine to bolt up no matter how hard i tried
Old 10-01-2005, 08:01 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I guess I'm in the minority. I stuck 2 washers under the brace in each bolt location to space mine out. Cost maybe a whole 32 cents.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Teching In

The brace is there to hold the driveshaft if you have a u-joint failure on the transmission side. If the driveshaft separates at the front it could possibly act like a pole vault for your car if it catches something on the road. It will also likely destroy your rear end. It doesn't take long to make it fit without hitting. To me its cheap insurance. Of course you will never need it if your forward driveshaft attachment never fails.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by arctic2kss
The brace is there to hold the driveshaft if you have a u-joint failure on the transmission side. If the driveshaft separates at the front it could possibly act like a pole vault for your car if it catches something on the road. It will also likely destroy your rear end. It doesn't take long to make it fit without hitting. To me its cheap insurance. Of course you will never need it if your forward driveshaft attachment never fails.
If thats the case, just get a driveshaft loop and be done with it.
FWIW I dont even remember mine being on the car.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have that brace on my car either. Hasn't been on for about 3 years now.