Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subthump

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Subthump

I recently ordered a t-top box from www.subthump.com for my 2 JL Audio 10W7 subs. I have heard that the best setup for these is 1.5 cubic feet per sub in a "slot" ported enclosure. I specifically asked for this on my order sheet and thought that is what I was getting. I hadn't heard back from them in 3 or 4 days so I decided to e-mail them today to see if my order had been processed as I requested. It hadn't. The guy e-mailed me back and told me that he had already started on it and that it would be a sealed enclosure with 1.1 cubic feet per sub. I don't know if these subs will perform well in this enclosure or not but should I be irritated? Would you be? Considering that they completely ignored my request and built the box the way they usually do. I mean, that is like ordering a double cheeseburger with bacon and green chili and getting a grilled chicken sandwich instead. About the only thing they got right was the two buns or, in my case, the wood for the box. Sorry for the rant but I just wish I could get something done without ******' problems. They could have at least e-mailed me back and told me they couldn't do what I wanted. But then I would have cancelled my order so they probably didn't want to see my $295 go bye bye. Someone please tell me that my subs will sound good in this box, please.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

well i cant answer the sound question. but id be pissed. you have all right. you wanted a custom job and they ignored your request. so there should either be no box or your custom job. not what they decided for you. IMO
Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Banned

Uh Oh!!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Have you tried calling him, I felt that talking to him helped get what I wanted better, does he know what subs you are putting in? He can only modify what he has already, add block off plates and the such. They don't make specialty boxes and if they do its gonna cost way more than the standard box price. When I ordered my mill house box I sent him the specs on the sub I was installing and asked him to get as close to the specs as possible, the sub needed .625 cubft and I got .70 cubft. call and make sure he knows the sub, if what you are asking for is bigger than the box that they make standard then it may be a special order.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I figured I was "in the right" to be pissed off about this. Yeah, he knows what subs I'm putting in. I filled out an order form on his site that asked what the model was, mounting hole diameter, any other special instructions/requests, etc. Hell, I even included that JL suggests 1.5 cubic feet per sub in a slot ported enclosure and that is what I thought I was getting because that is what I specifically asked for and I hadn't heard back from him. I even gave my email and phone number in case he had any questions or issues with my request. Then I email him and he says that my sealed 1.1 per sub enclosure will be in the mail Wednesday or Thursday.

JL Audio says that the sealed range for the subs should be at least 1 cubic foot per sub so at least it will have .1 more than the minimum.

I guess I should have called him immediately after placing my order because he said the box will be shipping today probably. Oh well, I'll look on the bright side because I've heard that sealed enclosures are better for sound quality. I just hope 1.1 cubic feet per sub is enough to make them sound good.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my initial response to his first reply:

"I hope it is not too late to stop building and refund my money because the
sealed enclosure is not what I want. In the order form I specifically asked
for 1.5 cubic feet per sub and a "slot" ported enclosure and I also asked
that I be contacted if there was a problem with this. Since I hadn't heard
anything I thought that my request was being carried out. I do not want a
sealed enclosure with 1.1 cubic feet per sub. You should have told me that
you couldn't do it and just cancelled my order, that way it would have saved
you a lot of work and me potential problems. I do hope that you'll make this
right and refund my money."

Here is his response:

"Below is what you ordered. A t-top box for two 10s. I am making what you
ordered. If that's not what you wanted, I dunno why you ordered it and that
is not my fault. I dont' have esp."

I told you guys, he completely ignored my requests in this mandatory form that must be filled out to ensure order accuracy. http://www.subthump.com/form.htm

Here is what the site says about this form:

"IMPORTANT:
After Ordering, you MUST fill out this form so we will have all your car and subwoofer information for your custom box.
This is very important to make sure your box is cut to spec and has the right colors for your model year car.
It is your job to get this info to us--we will not ask. If you do not send this info to use, we will NOT start on your box--simple as that.
So follow directions and you'll get your box faster. Thank you!"

Last edited by FLeXNuTZ; 07-20-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

My response to his response:

"You don't have esp but did you not get my form? I requested 1.5 ft.3 per sub and the slot port style. I also asked that you contact me if this was a problem. If it would have been a problem then I probably would have cancelled my order and tried to build a box myself. Is the box even being built for two 10W7 subs? If you still have my form that I had to fill out before you started on the box, please email it to me so that I can see what you read."
Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flex,

It's unfortunate you ran into this problem with subthump. From all that has been posted on here, he's usually top notch. It seems that he's a small business owner, probably with limited staff, and mistakes do happen.

Assuming that's his reply above, more tact could of definitely been exercised. It appears very unprofessional.

It makes total sense that if a seller is unable to meet your specifications, then the order is canceled.

I ran into a similar issue when getting my order fulfilled. There was an issue with the credit card. I didn't find out about this until ~a week after the order was placed. There was no email communications, I just called to check on status, and was informed. I did expect to receive something sooner if there was a problem. I wasn't too upset at all because there were other issues tieing up my install and I wasn't hot at all for the box.

You probably should of called him a day or two later after placing the order to make sure your specs could be met... Just to CYA...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You're right, I should have called. I didn't expect this because I had also heard wonderful things about subthump. If he doesn't refund my money, which I am certain will be the case, then I just hope that these subs will sound good with 1.1 ft.3 sealed a piece. Either that or I'll sell the box and build one like I want it with at least 1.5 per sub and slot ports. Too bad I can't prove that he ignored my request or I would attempt legal action against him. Even then I'm sure I'd have to file a suit in Indiana so it wouldn't be worth it. Hell, the trip alone would cost more than the box, lol.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It does suck that you said exactly what you wanted. Apparently the comments field should not be there. He should have rejected the order.

If you notice they don't do anything custom anymore. The even got rid of their ported boxes altogether. I imagine he had issues, a sealed box is a lot easier for people to not complain about.

I would just cancel the order if you have your heart set on ported. Otherwise sealed should be fine, but not as loud.

Brian
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

His response:

"The form is for year of car and colors. Not how many extra bells and
whistles you want on the box for free. You can't just order a t-top box and
on the form say oh yeah make it larger and port it too all for the same
price. The t-top box cannot be extended for more air because that
interferes with storing the tops. Hence, it does not have enough air space
to be a ported box. The specs of how a t-top box is configured are listed
on the t-top box page. It's a sealed box with 1.1. cu.ft. per sub. I can
tell you from experience that it will sound much better that way. I've done
a lot of these and I know what I'm doing.

I even did a little extra custom work on this box for you without charging
any extra for it. I beefed it up quite a bit to hold the 10w7s which is
something that I normally don't have to do with ordinary subs. And the
speaker holes are cut right to JL's spec for a good fit."

My response:

"I'm sorry for coming across like I wanted extra stuff for free. Its just that I'm used to seeing $70-$100 boxes so I thought I could ask for a couple different things on a $270 box. I just wish that you would have responded and told me that it was not possible to do what I wanted. If you say 1.1 per sub will be fine then I'll take your word for it. I'm sorry for the trouble and thank you for the extra work to make it hold the subs better."
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
It does suck that you said exactly what you wanted. Apparently the comments field should not be there. He should have rejected the order.

If you notice they don't do anything custom anymore. The even got rid of their ported boxes altogether. I imagine he had issues, a sealed box is a lot easier for people to not complain about.

I would just cancel the order if you have your heart set on ported. Otherwise sealed should be fine, but not as loud.

Brian
Yeah, I think I'll just try the sealed box and see how I like it. If I don't like it then I'll sell it and build a box like I want it. I never have more than one passenger with me so I may even build a big box and lay the back seat down or something.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then he emailed me back again with this:

"I already sold the box to somebody else. I sent your money back too so you
can quit whining about that. Good luck building your box. Don't ever
bother me again."

Needless to say I went to my bank immediately and disputed the charge. Hopefully they will make sure the money is put back in. I won't be buying anything from www.subthump.com any time soon, lol. That is just rediculous.

**No Racial Slurs Please. Last Warning.**

Last edited by Richiec77; 07-20-2005 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Racial Slur
Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

geez. i also tried to order from him once. i emailed a few times asking the same question but never got a response. so i got my box elsewhere. no harm done. i've seen a few people complain about subthump and others always come back with the "small business" excuse. that's bullshit. a business is a business. if you don't have the man power, then apparently you weren't ready to start the business.

btw, the 1/4 mile time on your acclaim is awesome!

Last edited by mongoose; 07-20-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Frickin' right it is!!! I may have the slowest 4 door sedan in the world.

A business is a business though, you're right. If he keeps treating customers like he did me then he won't have this business very much longer.

Last edited by Richiec77; 07-20-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats some BS , at least you got your money back, even if he is a small business owner anyone who treats their customers like that , and talk to their customers like that should not be in business. I worked for a guy like that who owned his own business fixing computers for a few months. Well one day he pissed off the wrong customer and had to dissapear for a while... lol
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i ordered a box for my 05 f150 crew cab from them and when it came it wasnt as pictured, it was supossed to have a spot in the middle for the magnet to have a little extra clearence, it didnt have it, so i put the subs in and it barely cleared, i figured it would be esier for me to modify it myself than go through the trouble of sending it back and trying to get another one, i wont be ordering from them again after reading this

Last edited by Richiec77; 07-20-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT for this disussion. Do not let this thread get out of control again to the parties in the know.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Fine with me, sorry for the racial comments. Let me rephrase and say that doing business with subthump is hard unless you let him do what he wants. I think that sounds better than what I had originally posted.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What i think everyone is missing is that he paid for a specific box, not a custom built job. When building a box the same way over and over you would be able to make minor modifications like whole diameter, color of carpet etc., but to ask for a complete redesign while spending the money for the basic box, is a rediculous expectation.