Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffled... Bank2 extremely lean Bank1 normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled... Bank2 extremely lean Bank1 normal

Any suggestions or comments?? I just installed the 90mm intake/TB, new valve stem seals, plugs, and wires. Using HP Tuners I made changes for the 90/90 setup and fired the car. It ran and sounded terrible, like a boat. Throttle response and power were not there. I spend a few hours messing with the tune with minimal effects. Finally said screw it and put the 78mm setup back on and uploaded a known good tune to see if it was a 90/90 issue. The car ran the same. So I put another new set of plugs in, installed the old wires, and re-ran the valves just to make sure. No change. What is weird is that when logging Bank 2 it was reading at least 1/2 the mV that Bank 1 was. I didn't think much of it because my WB was reading about normal, 14ish. Now I am thinking a bad O2 sensor on Bank 2. So I switch the two front O2s in hopes the problem will follow the sensor. I had the WB screwed in the driver side collector (Bank 1) during all this so I moved it over to the passenger side as well. The problem did not follow the sensor and B2 is still reading 200-300mv. The WB is now reading ~17.5. Ok so there is obviously a fueling issue. I had an old fuel rail with my stock injectors in it. Installed those and re-flashed with an updated IFR table. Same damn thing, B2 is extremely lean.

I am guessing that fixing the lean bank will also fix the horrible exhaust note and lack of throttle response? What else could be causing the passenger side to run this lean and the driver side to be fine?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad o2 sensor or wiring possibly, swtich o2s and if they follow get some new o2s. ive got a year old set for sale if this is your problem and you want them

if that doesnt fix it look for any wires that could have been pinched or cut on the install
Old 07-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the manifold - head seal areas for vacuum leaks
from the install.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check all the injectors on bank 2...It sounds to me like one is not plugged all the way back in. ie bank 2 is only fueling 3 cylinders.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
bad o2 sensor or wiring possibly, swtich o2s and if they follow get some new o2s. ive got a year old set for sale if this is your problem and you want them

if that doesnt fix it look for any wires that could have been pinched or cut on the install
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
So I switch the two front O2s in hopes the problem will follow the sensor. I had the WB screwed in the driver side collector (Bank 1) during all this so I moved it over to the passenger side as well. The problem did not follow the sensor and B2 is still reading 200-300mv. The WB is now reading ~17.5.
Jimmy-- I have looked once but will do a through check tonight. It is weird that it would happen with two different intake manifolds though.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Check all the injectors on bank 2...It sounds to me like one is not plugged all the way back in. ie bank 2 is only fueling 3 cylinders.
I agree bank 2 might only be fueling 2 or 3 cylinders but I tried two different fuel rails and two different sets of injectors.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

hopefully you didnt drop a tool in there while u were doing the install
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree bank 2 might only be fueling 2 or 3 cylinders but I tried two different fuel rails and two different sets of injectors.
are all your injectors turning on when the should? put a screw driver on each injector and listen for noise from them, should be a pulsating tick
Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

hopefully you didnt drop a tool in there while u were doing the install
Drop a tool where, down the intake runner?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

are all your injectors turning on when the should? put a screw driver on each injector and listen for noise from them, should be a pulsating tick
Not sure if they are all firing correctly. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that tonight as well. Is there anything else in HP Tuners that I can log for this? There isn't much for injector pids.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can log misfires for each cyl, thats about all i can think of. log the pulse widths for each bank and see waht they say too
Old 07-20-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

yeah.
Come to think of it I am missing an 8mm socket Honestly I don't think anything was dropped into the motor. Leak down numbers show the same as before the install. I was testing this because of oil consumption and the valve seals swap.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i was hoping to be wrong but things like that can happen and you dont even think about it lol
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

you can log misfires for each cyl, thats about all i can think of. log the pulse widths for each bank and see waht they say too
I did that last night too. Several logs taken at idle of each cyl and inj pulse widths. Never reported any misfires. Here are the pulse widths:

Bank1 Bank2
Current 36# inj. 4.4ms 5.6ms
Old 26# inj. 7ms 9ms

That holds true throughout the log, a 1.2ms delta on the 36# and 2ms on the 26#. That means that Bank 2 injectors are working harder but does that really tell us anything?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bank 2's injectors are working harder because the bank 2 o2 is reading lean, thus telling the computer to dump more fuel into that bank.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of swapping injectors, I would just try swapping injector harness feeds. ie plug the feed from bank 2 into bank 1 and vice versa...See if your condition changes to the other bank. BEFORE DOING THIS, SOMEBODY PLEASE VERIFY THAT HE WILL NOT COMPLETELY **** UP HIS ENGINE, DUE TO FIRING ORDER. I'M JUST THROWING IDEAS OUT MY ***. I DON'T THINK IT WILL MESS ANYTHING UP BUT I COULD BE WRONG.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Ok, found something interesting out last night. I unplugged the Harlan two step from the coil packs and then some DTC appeared for Bank 2.

P0352 - Ignition Coil 2 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0354 - Ignition Coil 4 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0356 - Ignition Coil 6 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0358 - Ignition Coil 8 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)

Thinking those coil packs were bad I swapped the pass with the driver side and vice versa. No change. Both sets of coil packs throw these codes repeat ably.

What would cause the whole bank to throw the code? I must have unplugged and re-plugged the connection a dozen times thinking it could have been just loose.

Also removed the intake again and swapped the intake o-ring gaskets around. Then checked for any vacuum leaks. I can not find any. So I believe the problem to be with the fuel or spark.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, found something interesting out last night. I unplugged the Harlan two step from the coil packs and then some DTC appeared for Bank 2.

P0352 - Ignition Coil 2 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0354 - Ignition Coil 4 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0356 - Ignition Coil 6 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)
P0358 - Ignition Coil 8 Control Circuit (Pending) (Immature)

Thinking those coil packs were bad I swapped the pass with the driver side and vice versa. No change. Both sets of coil packs throw these codes repeat ably.

What would cause the whole bank to throw the code? I must have unplugged and re-plugged the connection a dozen times thinking it could have been just loose.

Also removed the intake again and swapped the intake o-ring gaskets around. Then checked for any vacuum leaks. I can not find any. So I believe the problem to be with the fuel or spark.

I'm still leaning towards a fuel problem...A spark problem would cause you to run Rich. A fuel problem would cause you to run lean. Maybe something simple did you check the fuses for the injectors? There is one for each bank.
I would try swapping back to the stock injectors and re-load the stock injector mapping in your tuning software. You need to eliminate as many variables as you can.

I would clear the coil codes and try again, with stock injectors and stock injector maps.

Also check the fuses for the coils, you probably blew the one for bank 2 when you unplugged the two step.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
I'm still leaning towards a fuel problem...A spark problem would cause you to run Rich. A fuel problem would cause you to run lean. Maybe something simple did you check the fuses for the injectors? There is one for each bank.
I would try swapping back to the stock injectors and re-load the stock injector mapping in your tuning software. You need to eliminate as many variables as you can.

I would clear the coil codes and try again, with stock injectors and stock injector maps.

Also check the fuses for the coils, you probably blew the one for bank 2 when you unplugged the two step.
Good idea on the fuses. I will check those tonight. I have already tried the stock injectors and stock mapping. The same lean condition was happening.

I need some more ideas here. What else would cause bad fueling to Bank 2?

Quick Reply: Baffled... Bank2 extremely lean Bank1 normal