Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best Battery??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Battery??

Welp, it's time for a new battery in the good 'ole Trans Am. I do have a full stereo system, which seems to need quite a bit of power, along with some stronger headlight and foglights bulbs, and it seems to just drowned the power out of my old battery. I was thinking an Optima Yellow Top? Or is there another better one? Money isn't really a factor. Let me know what's the best battery I can get for a big stereo, high performance car. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Optima yellow top. I just bought one for $25. Once you get that in, start looking for a high output alternator. You can find them on ebay for reasonable price.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Optima yellow top. I just bought one for $25. Once you get that in, start looking for a high output alternator. You can find them on ebay for reasonable price.

You ***, you got it right before i did, i was pissed. 2nd the yellow top!

Last edited by Richiec77; 07-22-2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Are you gonna need the high output alternator because of the new battery, or because of the stereo? My alternator keeps the battery charged, it's just not that great of a battery.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldnt go witht the Optima at all. I work at Autozone, and that is the most returned battery. Ive only seen 2 or 3 Duralasts brought in... and they were 7 or 8 years old. I say Duralast or go got another AC Delco
Old 07-21-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamp
Are you gonna need the high output alternator because of the new battery, or because of the stereo? My alternator keeps the battery charged, it's just not that great of a battery.
Lesson in alternators 101...
The alternator keeps the car running. Battery is used to start the car, the alternator keeps it running. All your accessories run off the alternator, i.e. stereo, lights, etc..
Most OEM alternators will only supply enough power to run the OEM equipment. If you run aftermarket equipment, i.e. big stereo, brighter lights, etc.. it takes away from the OEM charging system. Hence dimming lights with big stereo's. Capasitors are only band aids. Which in turn kill the battery from not being able to get the charge it needs and the alternator for having to work so damn hard.
A high output alternator allows more power to the charging system to power aftermarket accesseries.
Now with that said, here is the story about the optimas...
Optima batteries are good batteries. The only problem they have is when they do get low on charge and need recharging, they WILL take everything your OEM alternator has to charge it and probably take out the OEM alternator doing it. I have had this discussion with an aftermarket high output alternator company when they asked what battery I was going to use. After I said Optima, he said he could not warrenty the alternator with that battery. And he told me why, as I have stated above.
He also said that Optima's will take all the power from the alterntor to charge it back up. A regular car battery will take 30-40 amps from the alternator to chrarge just the battery. A battery designed for hydralic cars, will take 50-60 amps to charge.
So if you want to go Optima, thats fine, I just recommend get a high output alternator.
Also do a search, I have seen a few posts about people having trouble with an Optima battery and an OEM alternator.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phoenixta99
I wouldnt go witht the Optima at all. I work at Autozone, and that is the most returned battery. Ive only seen 2 or 3 Duralasts brought in... and they were 7 or 8 years old. I say Duralast or go got another AC Delco
It is probably returned so much, due to the fact that the charging system on the car they put it in could not handle the charging of the battery. I am sure the people run the crap out of the battery with the big stereos and no way to keep it charged.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Optima RED Top !!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAN I RAN MY STOCK BATTERY & ALTERNATOR ON MY LAST SYSTEM & IT DIDNT HAVE A CAP EITHER. iT WAS A LITTLE OVER 1000watts ON A Digital Designs 15" Sub. I WAS IN COMPETITION WITH IT & IT WOULD HIT ALL DAY LONG AT 143 decibles METERED OFF THE WINDSHIELD. I NEVER HAD ONE PROBLEM WITH CHARGING OR MY BATTERY.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Is there a particular brand of high output alternators for the F Bods or just a GM alternator with a higher output. I have been looking for one for a while now!! Any help with brands or part#'s for 98-02 LS1 F Bods would be greatly appreciated. By the way I would pick the Optima Yellow top also, just dont forget to get the battery hold down also!! Found that out the hard way.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

My friend builds custom stereo setups for himself mostly (his neighbor/good good friend works at a audio wholesale place...) He has a 2001 Cavalier that he always runs big systems in, still uses the stock system but has put a second battery in the car, there is also a cap, the alternator charges both batteries and has yet to fail. He doesnt use Optima, its some other company, forget the name... reminds me of Dyna or Dymind or something... He constantly has high 14 volts in the car at all times.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RobTheHog
Is there a particular brand of high output alternators for the F Bods or just a GM alternator with a higher output. I have been looking for one for a while now!! Any help with brands or part#'s for 98-02 LS1 F Bods would be greatly appreciated. By the way I would pick the Optima Yellow top also, just dont forget to get the battery hold down also!! Found that out the hard way.
pick up a car audio magazine and take a look in the back where the ads are. You will find the alternator rebuilders back there. Most of those guys build for the high end competition vehicles.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Charging TA
My friend builds custom stereo setups for himself mostly (his neighbor/good good friend works at a audio wholesale place...) He has a 2001 Cavalier that he always runs big systems in, still uses the stock system but has put a second battery in the car, there is also a cap, the alternator charges both batteries and has yet to fail. He doesnt use Optima, its some other company, forget the name... reminds me of Dyna or Dymind or something... He constantly has high 14 volts in the car at all times.
He probably has upgraded the wiring to the charging system to.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
You ***, you got it right before i did, i was pissed. 2nd the yellow top!
Yeap, went and got it Tuesday evening. Put it on the charger last night.

Last edited by Richiec77; 07-22-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

where'd you get the yellow top for $25 !!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Teching In

My Optima Yellow Top outlasted my OEM alternator. Just like shouldaboughttheZ stated in 101.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RahuL
where'd you get the yellow top for $25 !!
Guy in Katy had it for sale. Didn't know if it was still good or not, been seating for 2 years. Put on the charger last night been there all day today. Should be good to go tonight.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RahuL
Optima RED Top !!
same here

only problem is the red top o.o, but a battery cover took care of that problem
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

red top o.o????
Old 07-21-2005, 05:14 PM