Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boiling Coolant, This needs to stop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boiling Coolant, This needs to stop!

Hey guys,
I am new to this board, and first off I want to say hello. I just bought a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 (LS1-4L60E Combo) about 2 months ago. From the get go I knew that the radiator would boil (as well as the coolant recovery) everytime the car sat in still or in traffic for five minutes. The reason for this is simple, my fan (s) is (are) not turning on. I can correct this problem the cheap way by turning on the A/C to over ride the circuit and make the fans come on when I'm sitting in traffic, but who does that? Can you guys tell me what I should do, I am going to try the Coolant Temp Sensor. Where is it located on the motor, and how much does it cost for the part. Is there any chance this problem could be caused by a bad fan relay? I would rely more on my coolant temp guage but thanks to GM, who changed the functionality of the guage for the 99' model year, I cannot determine anything wrong when the guage always reads a healthy 210. Any help with this situation is greatly appreciated. By the way, the car has 64000 on the clock.

~Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Either the fan itself, relay, wiring, etc. could cause it to not turn on.
Also double check the coolant level is completely filled and the air is bled out. The coolant shouldn't boil if it's under pressure until +260*. Air in the system can cause a lack of pressure.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, definitely check the wiring first. I'm not sure if the fan uses the same relay as another accessory, but you could try swapping them.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First, try software. The turnon temp is stupid high from
the factory, and if your system isn't holding pressure
then you'll boil up by the heads where it's hottest, and
puke out the radiator.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks guys, I guess I'll get started on this. I have had 3 vehicles in my life, all GM, and all of them have had fan issues. One being an 86 Cutlass Ciera (Which I still have and the fan has yet to work), a 1992 Camaro RS (which randomly had a fan that started working one day), and this 99' Z/28. I guess I'll start going through the wiring with my volt meter