Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$ doesn't matter...Suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $ doesn't matter...Suggestions???

I am going to try and have a custom duals setup fabricated. I have been split between many options. Price is not the major concern. I want to a have a nice subtle idle, with a nice cruising growl, and a killer WOT. Car cannot have any unpleasant sounds at any RPM under any gear, thats the main concern.

My idea:

1) Headers - QTP Race style
2) Sweet Thunder X pipe
3) 2 24" 304 Stainless Chambered Mufflers in the mid section
4) Over the axel to 2 18" Stainless Chambered Mufflers out the back w/single 3" chrome tips

What do you guys think.

Should I change anything, or suggestions on a better system? Cost is not a factor.
Attached Thumbnails $ doesn't matter...Suggestions???-sweet-thunder-ls1-system1.jpg  
Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds to me like you've put a lot of thought into it. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks hot.. but i wonder how much horsepower those extra tight turns will cost you
Old 07-22-2005, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

i have to say, it is beautiful...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. I have been researching nearly as much as when I first bought the car. The turns will cost some hp, but I am willing to give it up for the sound and cosmetics. Car is both for looks and performance, but dumps will not work due to the fact I still want the car to have a great rear look as well and I transport people frequently. I figure two 2.5" pipes out the back will flow better than any 3" catback even with the turns. Anyone found any argument against Sweet Thunders?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Alright, people have been telling me over and over that the turns will decrease the hp too much, and the cost to power ratio will be thrown way off. I have considered running two long Sweet Thunder's (24" or 30") parallel along the driveshaft, so I may run over the axel on the right side without any mufflers on the tail end.

Will this be too loud?
And, will 30" fit underneath the car before the bends over the axel?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, I'm in NO WAY an expert on fluid dynamics - but I have a hard time believing that 2 extra 90* bends will cost you that much.

Here's my logic. When you get LT headers, they don't all have straight tubes going to the collectors. All the primaries twist together like a pack of rattlesnakes screwing! Now, I'm not saying that a lot of though hasn't been given to making them equal lengths, scavenging, and other things (like I said, I'm no fluid dynamicist). But, if a couple of 90* turns were THAT big a deal, then I have to imagine that you'd never see the twisted headers we've got.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Thats what I thought, but damn if people arn't trying to push me away from it; exaust places and people on the forum. Either way, any arguments with running two large Sweet Thunders only? Think that will quiet the car down enough for a daily driver feel? It is cheaper than buying a few more mufflers, and the shops will fabricate it for less because there are fewer bends.