Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor Mounts

I have some issues with my QTP y-pipe banging and scraping, and when i get my cam installed i want to keep the motor from rocking back and forth, so which are better solid or poly? advantages/disadvantages to each? i already have a poly tranny mount that i'm installing this weekend and i'm waiting for my random tech cats to come in so i can cut up and customize my y so it will clear the ground and my floorboard better.......all i need are some motor mounts now and i think i'll have this problem taken care of!

Last edited by slpss9723; 07-22-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go with poly mounts. you wouldnt like the soilds for a street car
Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Launching!

that's what i thought i figured the vibration would be real bad.....
Old 07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Go with the poly mounts. It will eliminate 99.99% of the motor movement.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my poly motor mounts. They'll hold the engine still and wont drive you crazy like the solid mounts probably would. I couldn't stand the poly trans mount though.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much more does the car shake with the poly mounts? I have a poly trans mount in my 94 3.4 v6 car now and it transfers so much noise versus the stock hyrdaulic/rubber mount. When I swap in the LS1, I wont go poly on the trans, but I am undecided between the motor mounts.

I was looking at these:
http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1477
and
http://www.lmperformance.com/2644/1.html

Does anyone make tubular mounts (pedestal and upper half) that use the stock or after market rubber or poly? I have a profab K member, and as Im getting closer to finishing up and look at those huge weights, I mean motor mount brackets, I think that there has to be a better/lighter way. Should I just get new rubber mounts? I noticed a difference in my suspension when I replaced the rubber two years ago.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a huge noise/vibration wuss. If my poly motor mounts increased interior noise/vibration, i would have noticed. If anything there was an improvement. I would not go with solid mounts for a street car. But I know what you're saying about the heavy engine stands. Only thing I know of is I've seen K-members with "integrated" engine stands that avoid using the heavy cast iron GM stands.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, this is definately a street car. The PA & BMR K members have the cradles built in, but I already have the Profab K ammber that I purchased last summer.

I may have to make my own, I was just wondering if someone already sells them before I attempt it. Actually, I guess I would only have to make the lower half (the pedestal) as that is the heavy *** part of the stand.

I guess I'll order up a set of prothane motor mounts from Spohn.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
I love my poly motor mounts. They'll hold the engine still and wont drive you crazy like the solid mounts probably would. I couldn't stand the poly trans mount though.
I really haven't notice much of a difference on the interior noise.....and i am a stickler for that ****.......if they're is any noise from it i don't notice it......all i know is my y-pipe hasn't slapped the floorboard once since i put it on......