Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

looking to buy in NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy in NC

newbie here, hope I'm not in the wrong forum.

Been several years since I got rid of my 85 camaro. Thinking about getting a 4th generation and know next to nothing about them.

What can I expect to find for 7,500 to 10,000? Or do I need to wait until I've got 12 or 15 saved up?

Anyone in NC specialize in this type car? Anyone I should avoid?

I've found a 94 6 cylinder, the best thing is I've known the owners and I know it's been taken care of. If I buy it, how much trouble/expense is it to convert to a LS1?

how much difference is there between the firebirds and camaros?

looking for something as a daily driver. decent gas mileage that I can modify in the future as money becomes available.

thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony 85
What can I expect to find for 7,500 to 10,000? Or do I need to wait until I've got 12 or 15 saved up?
You can find good 98-99 LS1s for 8-10k.

I've found a 94 6 cylinder, the best thing is I've known the owners and I know it's been taken care of. If I buy it, how much trouble/expense is it to convert to a LS1?
More trouble and expense than just buying an LS1.

Basically none, except for the look of the exterior.

looking for something as a daily driver. decent gas mileage that I can modify in the future as money becomes available.
Almost all LS1s get at least decent gas mileage. Some actually get quite good mileage.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice.

Couple more questions.

What are the differences btw LT1 & LS1? Parts availability & price? resale value?

Stay with the a close to stock LS1 or pay less up front for an LT1 & modify it from that point?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

newbie here, hope I'm not in the wrong forum.

Been several years since I got rid of my 85 camaro. Thinking about getting a 4th generation and know next to nothing about them.

Anyone in NC specialize in this type car? Anyone I should avoid?

thanks in advance

You could spend alot less than that and get a good LT1. Conversions are more expensive and more of a PITA IMHO. There are plenty of A4 LT1s around for under $5000. Just keep your eye out. Autotrader is a good place to look.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

go for an LS1 car...they are very reliable and make the most power with small money invested i.e. (exhaust,intake,headers,etc) you can pick up a decent ls1 car 98-00 with decent miles for around 9-10k as long as you stay away from SS and WS6 cars (which hold there value better) there is also a speciality shop in Wilmington NC for f-body cars...they have dyno tuning and sell many parts for our cars for a decent price...you should check them out..good luck shopping
Old 07-27-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get an LS1 car much better engine that the LT1..they get good gas mileage for a high performance car..particularly the 6 speeds..check the for sale sections online, auto trader, & ebay you know the drill man..
Old 07-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

I have both engines, as you can see from my sig below. If I had to start over again I'd go straight for an LS1 car. I personally think it is the best engine GM has ever produced (aside from the duramax diesel)- My friend bought a '98 no-option Z-28 for $7100. It had 80k on the clock. His bone stock LS1 would stomp the **** out of my modified LT1.

Summary: buy an LS1 and you'll never regret it.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have 10k cash and are serious.. i'll sell you a 99 TA that will go 10s, this weekend.. just because im in a bind...