Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Price on used MAC tools and box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price on used MAC tools and box?

I started an Automotive technology program last fall and bought a lot of tools. I have since decided that doing it for a living is probably not the road for me. I will always have fun in my own garage...but I'm thinking since I won't be using them daily I don't need quite the set of tools I bought.

I have a Tech 1000 box and a pretty good starter set of tools I think I am going to sell. Approx 11 months old all in great condition.

Is there a normal price to ask of of the tool truck cost for used tools? All are in great shape.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-23-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Although it's a much bigger pain in the a$$, you'd do much better parting the set out. I've seen huge Mac, Matco, and CrapOn boxes FULL of tools going for probably 20-30% of original cost, many don't even sell, at least on Ebay.

You might want to think about subdividing the setup into groups, ie, box, 1/2" sets, 3/8" sets, screwdriver sets, metric wrench sets, etc. Sell all of the specialty tools seperate. Someone looking for a few bucks off on a specific tool will pay a higher price than someone who is buying an entire lot of special tools, some of which they may not need.

Since your stuff is fairly new and presumably in great shape, you can probably get 60-80% of original cost depending on the item, IF you part it out.

Just remember, your tools can always make you money

Good luck
Old 07-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Pete,

Thanks for the info. I imagine I will end up parting out the set as you suggested. I might try one thing first. The school is about to start again for the year so I might contact the instructor and ask him to pass along to the students who are starting that I would like to sell the basic set and box (several of us purchased the whole set at once last year) and basically get my money back and keep some of the specialty tools that I bought apart from the set.

At any rate, thanks again for the post. It give me a good reference should noone want the set.

I guess since I bought it at 50% off of list, selling it at 60% of list, on ebay or the like, would be a better deal for me while also giving someone else out there a chance to get basically new tools (some haven't even been used) at a cheaper price. I'm not sure how I feel about that...but then again if they can buy from me for 60% off list or list I'm doing both of us a favor...

I do know that they can still make me money...however, not using them all day every day I was thinking I can get a set such as Craftsman for less cost that will do fine for my more limited uses and have a little extra money for all the other projects I have going haha.

Gotta go decide what to do....thanks again for the advice.

Rob

Quick Reply: Price on used MAC tools and box?