PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative LTFTs needed after VE tuning? Best way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative LTFTs needed after VE tuning? Best way?

The procedures I've read for VE/SD tuning I've found say little to nothing about negative LTFTs. If the various procedures are followed, the trims should all end up at zero or roughly centered around zero (positive and negative).

Are negative LTFTs somehow not necessary anymore, or am I missing something? Where do you introduce the intentional error to keep them negative if that's needed?

Assuming for the moment that the place to force the LTFTs negative is the VE, do you first get it perfect, then apply a slight percentage offset to the whole table, or just try to estimate roughly where PE will kick in and only shift the stoich/closed loop entries (which seems like it would be hard to get quite right, especially through weather changes).

A fixed percentage offset in the whole VE seems like one easy way to do it. Since the percentage shift is known, it should be easy to scale/compensate the PE table accordingly to get the actual desired AFR in PE mode.

Alternately, the IFR table could be scaled (which is what I have now), which should be fairly easy to compensate for accurately and predictably in the PE.

Tweaking a properly-calibrated MAF to get negative trims also seems tricky to get right. I didn't have much luck the last time I tried it, but maybe I'm smarter now. Again, calibrating it accurately and then introducing a known error are two separate issues.

One way or the other, getting consistent negative trims has to mean intentionally introducing error SOMEwhere, and probably compensating in the PE. If the VE, MAF, and every other table is perfect in some arbitrary weather condition, the trims are certain to go positive at some point as the weather changes, which will in turn make WOT richer than intended.

Or, is everyone just dialing it in perfect, and then assuming that if trims go positive WOT probably NEEDs to go richer anyway? How do you tune that?

BTW, I'm using an LM-1 wideband. I understand how to get the tables RIGHT; what I'm unclear on is the best way to make them wrong
Old 07-24-2005, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've read ( and take it for what it is, internet ) the original tuning doc may be inaccurate as it says +/-4.

Look for a post entitled 'opinions on ls1tuning doc' as there is some great discussion about this. Most tuners that gave an opinion felt they should be ALL negative but within 4 as ANY positive value will add fuel.

I have to say, I've been reading this and studying it all for months now and there is a TON of conflicting data, even WITHIN the tuning doc that is out there.

For example, the doc explains how to get to SD mode but others have said you also need to disable DFCO and PE so those 2 don't influence the VE table during the LTFT/STFT process. Not in the document; found it through hours of searching this board and HPTuners board.

BTW, been to Beaver Run lately? We met at a test and tune a couple of years ago with Sam Strano.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's between the VE table and the MAF table. My theory of attacking this is to turn off your LTFT's & DFCO in SD and get your STFT's to average a slightly negative number. If you end up with cells that are more negative than say -2, I would apply only half of the percent correction. If you end up with cells that are positive, I would apply twice the correction. If it falls between -2 and 0, I would leave it be.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"theory of attacking this is to turn off your LTFT's & DFCO in SD and get your STFT's to average a slightly negative number"

But, if your LTFT's are way over +/- 10, wouldn't you want to start with LTFT tuning first then move to STFT?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Viper
"theory of attacking this is to turn off your LTFT's & DFCO in SD and get your STFT's to average a slightly negative number"

But, if your LTFT's are way over +/- 10, wouldn't you want to start with LTFT tuning first then move to STFT?
I was kind of interrupted earlier and didn't get to finish my train of thought. Yes, you should tune with your LTFT's in mind first to get you close. What I was getting at was how to attain the slightly negative trims when you're finishing up your tune. I'm in the process of getting everything slightly negative now and it seems to be working out ok. One thing to look at too is where your LTFT boundaries are when you re-enable them. I believe I set mine up at 0-20kpa, 20-40kpa, 40-60kpa, and >60kpa & 0-1000 RPM, 1000-2000 RPM, 2000-3000 RPM, and >3000RPM. Obviously that won't effect the STFT tuning process I described above. But, when you re-enable the LTFT's it can help you make sure everything is dialed in right. Also, I'm still trying to figure out the MAF though. There are several theories floating around how to do that. Maybe it's just me (operator error), but I can't seem to hit the target I'm shooting for with the MAF.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

BTW, been to Beaver Run lately? We met at a test and tune a couple of years ago with Sam Strano.
That either wasn't me or wasn't the place. I've never been to Beaver Run, and I met Sam for the first (and only) time in April at an Evolution Phase 2 in Cinci.

I did go to an Evolution in Cinci last year too, maybe we met then
Old 07-24-2005, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

The real problem is what could be considered a bug (actually a poor design choice) in the PCM firmware. One way or another, we have to introduce intentional error into at least one table to avoid the bug. That's what the trims are - learned compensation for errors in the tables.

I'm basically chasing the idea that any error introduced anywhere is going to have unintended side effects:

- Fudging the airflow tables will affect anything that uses calculated airflow (instead of MAP) to determine engine load and burn time. Notably, this includes the spark and knock calculations.
- Fudging the IFR probably throws off the transient fuel calculations.
- Fudging stoich (changing it from 14.62 to 14.0, for instance) would require compensating the Open Loop AFR table, but once that's done, I think a lot of things might just fall in line. Closed loop operation would still run at true stoich because that's where the sensors switch.

In other words, error has to be introduced somewhere and it will have side effects. The trick is to figure out which error(s) has/have the most benign side-effects to deal with.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Look for a post entitled 'opinions on ls1tuning doc' as there is some great discussion about this. Most tuners that gave an opinion felt they should be ALL negative but within 4 as ANY positive value will add fuel.
I couldn't find that thread.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sgarnett
The real problem is what could be considered a bug (actually a poor design choice) in the PCM firmware. One way or another, we have to introduce intentional error into at least one table to avoid the bug. That's what the trims are - learned compensation for errors in the tables.

I'm basically chasing the idea that any error introduced anywhere is going to have unintended side effects:

- Fudging the airflow tables will affect anything that uses calculated airflow (instead of MAP) to determine engine load and burn time. Notably, this includes the spark and knock calculations.
- Fudging the IFR probably throws off the transient fuel calculations.
- Fudging stoich (changing it from 14.62 to 14.0, for instance) would require compensating the Open Loop AFR table, but once that's done, I think a lot of things might just fall in line. Closed loop operation would still run at true stoich because that's where the sensors switch.

In other words, error has to be introduced somewhere and it will have side effects. The trick is to figure out which error(s) has/have the most benign side-effects to deal with.
I'm thinking the VE table is the one with the most benign side effects. My car has only a few bolt-ons and saw upwards of 5-6% positive fuel trims stock. Yet, when I started my SD tuning, the VE table was quite fat in several areas. I'd guess it's between the MAF and VE tables. The bitch of it is getting them to work together. I've been futzing with this thing for over a month now and can't get away from 1.6-2.3% positive learned fuel trims when I try to go back to stock operation. The only difference this time is parts of my fuel trims are around -8% also. Thankfully, I'm a patient person...for now.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the way I do it.

1. Unplug the the MAF
2. Change the VE until most STFT+LTFT are negative. -3 to -5. You have to move PE out of the way or u go open loop.
3. Plug in MAF cahnge MAF table until STFT+LTFT are negative. -3 to -5.
4. Get WB and tune PE for A/F of 12.5 at peek torque and 13 Peek horse power.

WHEN YOU GO TO PE FEUL TRIMS GO TO ZERO and you are done no big deal.