Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!!!!having trouble w/header install....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!!having trouble w/header install....

ok, im gettin really frustrated. !st, i cant loosen one of the bolts on the y-pipe. i sprayed tons of wd-40 and pounded it with a hammer and it still wont come loose. 2nd,the fuckn header bolts are tight as ****...i was only able to loosen 3...i sprayed wd-40 on them as well. nothing. can some1 please give me some tips to point me in the right direction!!???TIA
PS- i will be putting on a tsp y-pipe so i have no need for the 1 on the car now...any thoughts as to what i should do to remove the 1 on the car now?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My manifold bolts came off pretty easy. Thee y pipe bolts took some *** to get off. Use a pull bar or put the box end of a large wrench around the shaft of a ratchet to get some more mojo on it.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thing is is that i have slp headers on the car right now...not the stockers.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer to your question is BREAKER BAR..I use a 24 inch one it kicks boootaaay...if you do not have one that long put a pipe over the one you have and put some whupass on it...that is southernese for mo muscle ..header bolts should not be all that hard to get off..use the same principal on those..mo muscle....anitseize is good for header bolts if you plan on ever taking them off...just like on the plugs when you install them.. a flex head ratchet is really great to use for header bolts..put a pipe over one of those if ya need more leverage..
Old 07-23-2005, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

You probaly did this but make sure you have the socket set on loosen. I think we've all done this one before.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slt200mph
The answer to your question is BREAKER BAR..I use a 24 inch one it kicks boootaaay...if you do not have one that long put a pipe over the one you have and put some whupass on it...that is southernese for mo muscle ..header bolts should not be all that hard to get off..use the same principal on those..mo muscle....anitseize is good for header bolts if you plan on ever taking them off...just like on the plugs when you install them.. a flex head ratchet is really great to use for header bolts..put a pipe over one of those if ya need more leverage..
I don't suggest that unless you really want to do a head swap too Get some PB-Buster. 10x better than WD-40. Spray the crap out of the bolts (even better if the engine is warm (not hot).....let sit for a while, spray again, then try loosening them. You might well have to crank on the Y-pipe bolts to get them out. That's normal.

I REALLY, REALLY don't suggest going to town on the header bolts. This will F up your heads. It sounds like the person wh installed the SLP headers didnt use nti-seize, a torque wrench....or worse, used Lock-tite. Be careful when removing them. Can't say that enough.

Good luck.