View Full Version : Trapshooting ammo?

SiL3NtXWS6
07-23-2005, 10:56 PM
I'm about to go trapshooting. I've got a 20 gauge shotgun that i haven't shot in a lonnggggg time. I need to purchase some ammo. Really have no clue what to get? I am not looking for a challenge, just wanna hit some stuff with ease. The ammo will never be used for hunting or anything else.

LSONE
07-23-2005, 11:09 PM
they wont let you use any high brass shots at the place i shoot at, and if you're just trying to have some fun... i would just go to wallmart and pick up some basic dove shots.

HOSS
07-23-2005, 11:14 PM
yea, nothing fancy, something with #7 shot or whatever, $2 to $3 a box i think..

SiL3NtXWS6
07-25-2005, 02:52 AM
What are the differences between 6 , 7, 8 ect. shot?

LSONE
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
the amount of gunpowder and the size of the pellets. you're going to want a smaller pellet because there is more of them and it covers more area, and obviously you dont want alot of powder because you're shooting at a pretty short range and you dont want a sore sholder. you're also using a 20 gage, i usually go with a 12 gage, so it will be tough because you're using a small gun.

sb427f-car
07-25-2005, 01:42 PM
For trap, 7 1/2 will do nicely. Dove load will work good too. Look for something above 1100 FPS and I honestly wouldn't go any lower in the shot than that 7 1/2. I'd probably use a modified choke if you have interchangeable chokes (pump or autoloader) and if you have an O/U put the modified in the bottom barrel and a full in the top. Now, if you move over shoot some skeet (unless you have a skeet choke) shoot improved cylinder and modified in the top. Most importantly, safety first. :usa:

SiL3NtXWS6
07-25-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a choke on my shotgun, what do i do with it?

sb427f-car
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
What make and model and what year? All shot guns have chokes, some are interchangable others are built into the barrel. If you have an interchangable choke system, then there should be a few extra "choke tubes" with your hardware and literature. You should have some sort of wrench to go along with them. What do you do with it is that you change the tubes to provide a better shot string for varring ranges. If you aren't shooting anything over 15 yards, a more open tube is better (more spread of the shot column), while at longer distances you want a tighter tube which will choke down the shot column and make it spread more open at a longer yardage. It's not rocket science, but it is tricky. Let me know the above and I might be able to help you more.

SiL3NtXWS6
07-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I went out today. Was shooting consistent 19 out of 25's. I guess that's average? I was doing a lot better with my 12 gauge than my 20. I'll mess with the choke some other time if i really want to get into it.

sb427f-car
07-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I went out today. Was shooting consistent 19 out of 25's. I guess that's average? I was doing a lot better with my 12 gauge than my 20. I'll mess with the choke some other time if i really want to get into it.

Well...with the 12, there's more shot in the shell (or at least you can get more shot in there). For decent trap loads, good to dicks or if you have a good supply shop, look for something like an 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 shot. Look for something that's a 3/4 dram load, which should put your velocity up around 1250 fps (this is 12 ga.) Now, that's a rather hot load, so you will get a fair amount of felt recoil. You can step down to a 1 oz. load and probably do just as well.

19 out of 25s isn't bad for your first time out. Trap to me is kinda monotenous. I prefer skeet and sporting clays personally, but any of it can be fun. Shotgun sports is a mag that my dad gets, so if you get serious about it, you might want to check that out for reloading data and new ammo, firearms, latest techniques.

Sigforty
07-26-2005, 06:02 PM
For trap I suggest the higher numbers like everyone else. This is a lighter load you do not need any fancy duck or goose which has few pellets that are bigger and more expensive. If possible you could get into reloading and do your own. I personally reload a light lead shot for trap and skeet.

sb427f-car
07-27-2005, 11:41 AM
For trap I suggest the higher numbers like everyone else. This is a lighter load you do not need any fancy duck or goose which has few pellets that are bigger and more expensive. If possible you could get into reloading and do your own. I personally reload a light lead shot for trap and skeet.

Yeah, definately don't be buying steel or tungstun "waterfoul" loads. They are expensive! Not only that, I don't think they make anything bigger than a No. 4 or 5 shot in them. If they do it's hard to find.