Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD coils?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MSD coils?

Anyone using these now? If so how do you like them? Any opinions? Or if anyone has a bud that has them on his ride, feel free to leave a comment. thx!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

Waste of $. IMHO.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Not what i asked but thanks anyway. Unless your making that comment because you have or had a set.

Last edited by FloridaZ; 07-24-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
Not what i asked but thanks anyway. Unless your making that comment because you have or had a set.
DO A SEARCH!!!!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1926867

And heres a good reason why I say that https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....54&postcount=4
Old 07-24-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I consider that a luxury item. Thats just my opinion. I think I will gain more coil performance when I move the coil packs off of the hot *** valve covers.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Launching!

I did a search. My question obviously wasn't answered in any post i could find. I'm well aware of how much they are, and how well the stock ones perform. I don't care if anyone thinks there a waste or what they would rather spend the money on. I'm asking for input on a products performance. Otherwise...please pull through.

I agree Lasershop. I was thinking about the coil relocation kit too.

Last edited by FloridaZ; 07-24-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

This is from the MSD website:
Finally a performance replacement coil for the popular Gen III GM small block! This engine, most notably the LS-1 and LS-6, is fast becoming a favorite performance engine. But, not just in Camaros, the new GTO and Corvettes - also in muscle cars and street rods.
The complex electronic controls of the original coils presented the aftermarket with a challenge as the drivers that control the firing of the coils are built into the OE models. MSD engineers were able to design an advanced circuit that will operate with the factory electronics of the Gen III engine controls while producing a higher output spark. Not only do you get a higher voltage spark, but the coil will deliver multiple sparks! That’s right - multiple spark discharge coils! Notice that the coil has two connectors molded into the custom housing.
One accepts the factory coil connector, the other is for an upcoming ignition controller. (This controller is still in the development stages but it will allow you to program functions of the ignition. We’re planning a lot more for the Gen III fans!) The new coils mount in place of most factory LS-1 and LS-6 coils.

LS-1/LS-6 Blaster Coil
PN 8245
I think when this controller comes out combined with the coils it could be very useful depending on the features it has.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bluewire
I think when this controller comes out combined with the coils it could be very useful depending on the features it has.
That controller is never going to reach the market if no one buys those coils.

Sorry for butting in.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Don't the coils lok a little better than stock though...you gotta admit, if not for performance, alot of people buy **** that just looks better than stock.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason you aren't getting any posts from people with experience with them, is because no one has em. I don't think anyone that does run them could tell you how they like them, because they aren't going to produce a noticeable difference. If you think they look pretty then get them, but don't expect a hp increase. They are basically an appearance mod, and come on $600 for red coil packs. I'll pass. I'd rather spend $600 on rims. Our cars don't need a more powerful ignition system. The stock system is PLENTY. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear...just my .02.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 07-24-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

I am getting them more for apperance factor than performance. When i do my engine, everything is getting replaced. The car see's more shows than races. I know new products tend to have there flaws, wich is why i was curious if anyone picked any up lately and had them crap out somehow or caused any problems. The thought of the controller (if it ever makes it out) was just a bonus in my book. I was trying to decide between stock coils with a relocation kit, and new valve covers, or the msd coils. If i can't find anyone that has the coils i'm more than likely going with the first idea.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

I'd say if it is for a show car, then do it, i've seen money wasted in worse ways for show cars. Wasn't there on belair or something with an ls1 and 8 turbos. There are probably plenty cars with one turbo and better performance. On a much smaller scale, this can be applied to the coils, not a necessity, but it ihas somewhat of a WOW factor.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Ya but for that much you could have some nice custom valve covers and the coil pack relocation kit and it looks pimp.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Launching!

I agree. Esspecially since i just saw this...

some sweet C5-R covers, and i really like how they have the coils mounted were the a/c accumulator goes. I wonder if that is the relocation kit, just mounted in a different place? If not, i could fab something up pretty easy, and make up some wires. Slap on some billet rails and it would be sweet!!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...05em_boredls1/

Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi
So much negativity about MSD coils. The main reason no one is using them is beacause they have not been available. I know they have been advertised on many web sites, but have always been on back order. In fact, I still do not think they are redily available now.

I used capacative discharge ignition on a car in the past and it realy helped. I had a 396 Camaro and the plugs fowlled about every 2 weeks. After I put an MSD ignition on it, I only had to change the plugs about once per year. I also got a significant gain in bottem end power.

They are expensive, so there may be more benificial ways to spend the money on HP, like an LS6 intake or higher ratio rockers. Lets wait and see.

JA
Old 07-25-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

People are making HUGE horsepower on the stock GM stuff. I think the MSD will come into there own once more of the supporting electronics hit the market.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

the main reason is not availability, its no need to spend 650 bucks for damn coils when you have 8 that work perfect. there is a lot of other stuff to spend that money on if you want to go fast, and where its needed.

they are pretty though, wish i had money to blow like that. only thing i think it would be cool for is shows, it woudl look good. if you have the money to waste on it i would say go for it, they should be a good piece, msd is a great name so you shouldnt have any worries, they just think their name is so great they can charge you an arm and 2 legs.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even from a show standpoint, I'd rather spend the money on fabbed or C5R valve covers and a relocation kit, or make my own kit...
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brandon
Even from a show standpoint, I'd rather spend the money on fabbed or C5R valve covers and a relocation kit, or make my own kit...

But how many people have that same idea? I bet nobody would show up with those coils.

Sure its a waste of money for most, and theres no performance and all that ****, but not everything people put on there car is gonna be a necessity, nor is everyone gonna come to a consensus and say that its a good idea and you should do it, nor is it gonna give them a billion horespower. Not everyone would want the coils on their car, not everyone would pay for the coils even if they did want them, but some people would, this is like a spoiler issue because alot of people hat spoilers on our cars, but alot of people that have them like them, except nobody has the coils.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Maybe i'll do the coils, relocation,and covers. Just have to make sure there not hidden.