Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake whistling sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake whistling sound

When I put my longtubes on a couple months ago I deleted my AIR system, and I've noticed that sometimes it makes a whistling sound that's very audible when the windows are closed.

When I deleted the AIR system I left in the valve-looking think that the hoses connected to since the instructions I was using didn't mention it. When I put on my LS6 IM a month later I realized that it had a vacuum tube attached to it that ran to the back of the IM. So it appears that unfiltered air is being sucked into the IM, which is of course bad.

So my question is, can I just unhook that little hose and RTV it shut, and will that kill my whistling sound? Also, can I take the valve thing out? It's attached to an electrical cable, so will that just throw more AIR codes if I pull it out (I'm deleting the codes once I order a copy of HPTuners)?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine whistles too after i had my F11 cam installed.. i think a lot of people experience that whistling noise from wat i understand.. but i also did my Ls6 intake and wasn't sure to plug those hols or not.. i don't think its bad.. it soudns awesome haha.. someone correct me if i'm wrong about anything.. i'm pretty sure its normal intake sound though..
Old 07-25-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

I wont use rtv because it might just suck the rtv in the intake when you first start it.
I would leave a short peice of hose on it the get a cap for the end of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a turbo man quit complaining...LOL
Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well I guess I should be asking if it would harm the engine to block the tube somehow, or if I even should worry about the open tube at all. I don't want some goofy vacuum problem to occur.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found my vacuum leak... it was the 2" piece of hose that connects the PVC to the intake. It had a small hole in the bottom side of it.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Well what is supposed to be done with that tube I'm talking about after an AIR delete? I haven't read anyone mention it in the delete instructions.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Welp,

I had the PCV hose leak that Kelly mentioned, and it whistled like crazy and made the idle wierd. It also set off my SES light with too lean of a signal, since the air was coming in downstream of the MAF. You might wanna take that into consideration with your whistler, too. If it's on the back of the intake, I think that goes to your MAP sensor.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep I was throwin' the lean codes and a misfire code as well. Now, the SES went off, and the car runs perfect.