Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter install

My friend matt and I installed the long tube headers on my z28 last nite.

Was a PIA and BIA to get them in, hadda jack the car up ALL THE WAY, stands didnt even get up high enough so we just used the jack! haha

Well the after we removed the steering shaft the drivers side slide in like butter.

However on the passenger side was another story, I hadda remove the EGR equpitment, dipstick, all the coil packs + wires, and all the bottonm heat shield and they finally slide in and put every back.

All in all it took about 12 hours!!! haha it was crazy man. Best part was we got everything installed and secured with NO CODES!!!!! WOOO HOO. Its even running smooth as **** with just open headers.

This was the first time iv ever torn in my own car and it was pretty cool to say the least, i was covered in blood and grime from head to toe.

Didnt get any pics after the headers were puit in cus we were too busy, but before we put anything in, i took some shots of the stock **** and of the passenger side all the **** we had to remove.

Heres the pics, i had to resized them down to 800x600 (from 5 mega pixels) to work for picturetrail.

If anyones interested ill post pics now of what it looks like with everything back and the headers in.

Also, i didnt have a chance to put up the Y pipe so im running open headers right now, Im not driving with it that way I just drove home from my buddies house where we did the work (3 miles) and am borrowing a friends truck for a few days.

If anyones interested ill update the thread with pics of the y pipe install as well.

Any questions or comments shoot! haha
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

12 hours, damn that is probably the longest i have ever heard of a header install At least you got em in though.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
12 hours, damn that is probably the longest i have ever heard of a header install At least you got em in though.
Yeah, well it was the first time iv ever torn into ANY car period.

It was a good learning expierence though, I was tired of whoring out my car. Paid a buddy 75 for use of his air tools/jack/stands and his help/expertise and we got it done.

We ran into some problems (broken bolts, missing bolts, etc.) so it only added to make it loner. Like JRP and others have said, GET THE CAR AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE it makes things so much easier. Its hard to angle the header from the bottom if the car isnt high enough cus it bangs the **** outa the ground.

All in all im glad i did it, sound with open headers is jsut rediculous, y pipe should be on tues/wed. But untill then like i said ill be driving a buddies f150.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

according to your name, when i would have finished the header install i would have started screaming "I own you bitch, I own you!!!!!!" then threw a socket wrench at the wall and go "im out bitch!".
Old 07-25-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PSYKOZ28
according to your name, when i would have finished the header install i would have started screaming "I own you bitch, I own you!!!!!!" then threw a socket wrench at the wall and go "im out bitch!".

Haha, I may be a big dude but im a peaceful one

But i did think about it
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

12hrs isnt too bad at all considering its the first time you've worked on your car.

congrats!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

good deal man! enjoy them!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks x2
Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose a congartulations is in order for the job, but you just got your *** kicked by the easiest headers in the world to put in.

I could have changed those headers with the front wheels no more than 8" off the ground. Thats with jackstand at the k member where the a arms mount.

You dont need to get the car up so high that you can sit the header upright. Lay the header flat and as you raise it then you straighten it out.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I suppose a congartulations is in order for the job, but you just got your *** kicked by the easiest headers in the world to put in.

I could have changed those headers with the front wheels no more than 8" off the ground. Thats with jackstand at the k member where the a arms mount.

You dont need to get the car up so high that you can sit the header upright. Lay the header flat and as you raise it then you straighten it out.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
i was covered in blood and grime from head to toe.

haha thats how it always ends, blood, sweat, grease. I plan on getting bloody tomorrow while i help work on a friend's N/A and turbo Datsun 280zx motors.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice man, i have a set of pacesetters i'm waiting to install, i'm kinda worried as to weather or not i can do it myself, i know i dont wanna spend 12 hours on it, there must be an easier way....
Old 07-26-2005, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

fvukin sweet, that last pic is priceless. il be puttin on some pacesetters after the ls6 manifold. did u use locking header bolts?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
SSU, come over and relax

the first time i did a header install was with my friend on his z. he did most of it but it took like 14 hours (including the ypipe and everything). We just finished mine a few weeks ago and only took 4 hours to get the headers on from the time i rolled into his garage. now the ypipe was a different story since i bought the crappy tsp pipe...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
the first time i did a header install was with my friend on his z. he did most of it but it took like 14 hours (including the ypipe and everything). We just finished mine a few weeks ago and only took 4 hours to get the headers on from the time i rolled into his garage. now the ypipe was a different story since i bought the crappy tsp pipe...

I have the TSP ORY as well and it looks like a quality piece to me. Your the only one Iv read about that wasnt happy with it. The pacesetter ORY from what iv read is a POS.

I didnt put on the ORY yet thought b/c we ran out of time on sunday nite, were gonna put the ORY on 2morro, its just open headers right now but i borrowed a buddies 2004 quad cab 5.4 f150 since monday so i dont have to drive open headers everywhere lol.

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
fvukin sweet, that last pic is priceless. il be puttin on some pacesetters after the ls6 manifold. did u use locking header bolts?
No I used the ones pacesetter sent me and some locktite thread ****, went in and locked like a charm, had zero issues with broken bolts or fucked up threads.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You used locktite on header bolts??????

I hope you never have to take them back off. Locktite basically chemically bonds the bolts to the head. More than likely you will break them before getting them out if you ever have to.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

lets just hope he never has to.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM
SSU, come over and relax

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
I have the TSP ORY as well and it looks like a quality piece to me. Your the only one Iv read about that wasnt happy with it. The pacesetter ORY from what iv read is a POS.

I didnt put on the ORY yet thought b/c we ran out of time on sunday nite, were gonna put the ORY on 2morro, its just open headers right now but i borrowed a buddies 2004 quad cab 5.4 f150 since monday so i dont have to drive open headers everywhere lol.
haha wait till you put it on
Old 07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trent
You used locktite on header bolts??????

I hope you never have to take them back off. Locktite basically chemically bonds the bolts to the head. More than likely you will break them before getting them out if you ever have to.

It wasnt a super locktite like your thinking, it was a type of thread lock. Just to make it a little bit more secure. And no trust me there never coming off again, and if they do its a shop not me lol.

haha wait till you put it on
Its all put together and fits, just have to bolt it up with the hangers/clamps. TSP makes quality products and have rarely if ever heard of anyone having problems with any of their stuff and not getting it resolved. If urs has an issue, you should call em up.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to hear it took so long. Mine went in without having to remove anything, left the spark plugs in as well.
I re-used the stock header bolts, Stage 8 locking bolts are overkill imo. I checked the bolts twice since installing them and they're still tight.
Good luck with the TSP ORY. Make that two people who werent happy with it.
As mentioned below it's sort of a pain to get aligned right (on the dr. side) so it does not bang. It drove me nuts for a while. Once it's in the correct way though it is nice and there's plenty of clearance.