Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing door panel inserts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Removing door panel inserts

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the leather/vinyl/cloth panel inserts from the actual door panel? I wanna try something but I need to know if they can be removed and reinstalled securely, and exactly how to do it. I don't want to just start prying on them and **** 'em up.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I don't know from experience, I would guess that it could be done depending on how careful you are... I would think trying to pry them off would stretch them out, though. I personally reupholstered mine with red vinyl from a fabric store, and in that case if you're using a different material it can be done, but from the sounds of your post it sounds like you want to use the same material. Worst part about the door panels is that they weren't made to be taken apart again... they have plastic tabs that stick up through slots in the cardboard/plastic backing, and then they melted each of the tabs down into a puddle of melted plastic about a quarter big, which then holds the piece in place... when I removed mine, I had to use epoxy to get the panels to securely fit back onto the actual door panel again.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I just did this same thing last month on a '96 TA. As noted, the panels are held together with melted over plastic pins. Using a heat gun, a putty knife, and a pair of pliers, I was able to remove the insert sections. I used the heat gun to soften the melted over section, used the putty knife to raise it up a little, and the pliers to flatten it out. Took about an hour a door but it did work. I painted mine and then was able to push the tabs thru the original slots. Then used a soldering iron to flatted them out again. Worked out well but looking at the resulting pins, I don't think it would work again on the same door panels.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I DID MINE IN SUEDE. WWW.INSTALLUNIVERSITY.COM