PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune or HP tuner On The Fly???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno Tune or HP tuner On The Fly???

Just did heads and cam and am trying to decide between my two options. I can either get a dyno tune with LS1 edit, or have my car tuned with HP tuners as I drive. Whats the preferred method? LS1 edit with dyno vs. Hp tuners and no dyno? What would give me the best tune?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Junkie

HP tuners while you drive and then hit the dyno for max power. That will give you the best tune IMO. You can't tune a car properly on the dyno unless it is a load bearing dyno IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless its a load type dyno your better off tuning with real load.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Just from PERSONAL experience, I would do the LS1 edit dyno tune only, because some HP Tuners are not experienced. I have dyno sheets that got a whole lot more HP just from the LS1 Edit program. (Considering I have an A4)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Just from PERSONAL experience, I would do the LS1 edit dyno tune only, because some HP Tuners are not experienced. I have dyno sheets that got a whole lot more HP just from the LS1 Edit program. (Considering I have an A4)

I dont think its an hp vs ls1edit issue...when your on a dyno your going to find your optimal timing fairly easily...on the street you can more easily find your optimal a/f ratio & then try and adj timing to where you see the most improvement vs. most KR. FWIW my car was initially tuned on the dyno by one of thee most respectible tuners in the business & ran slower at the track in better weather then the stock tuning I prefer street/track tuning since you generally dont race on the dyno.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things to think about:

on a "professional" dyno tune, they tune your car to idle and for WOT power.

they do not:
tune for ideal idle.
tune for cold idle.
tune for part throttle driveability

if its a weekend car, thats fine... little rough around the edges.
if its a daily driver or you drive it alot, its best to get the idle down perfect (even if you spend days doing it for just 15mins while its cold) then get the part throttle down great...... THEN have him tune for power overall in your racing RPM range, on the dyno.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
I dont think its an hp vs ls1edit issue...when your on a dyno your going to find your optimal timing fairly easily...on the street you can more easily find your optimal a/f ratio & then try and adj timing to where you see the most improvement vs. most KR. FWIW my car was initially tuned on the dyno by one of thee most respectible tuners in the business & ran slower at the track in better weather then the stock tuning I prefer street/track tuning since you generally dont race on the dyno.

Someone better call Gomer and tell him no more Dyno Racing! j/k

I agree, doesnt matter to me street, real world load, wideband and lots of time is best, UNLESS it is a track only car. Then as already mentioned dial in a couple thousand rpm idle, and set the AFR and timing, big deal. I have some friends now I am tuning for, I am not an expert so a expert LS1Edit Dyno tuner might get more peak numbers, but I bet my cars will idle better, drive better and respond better once the tuning is done compared to a dyno raced and tuned car. It just takes a lot of time, which is why you normally wont get that from a shops tune.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im doing the same thing CAT3 is..... me and some buddies tossed in on HP tuners, and even though its been only a couple months, im helping other buddies with "professional" tunes get their cars dialed in better... it seems like most tuners just toss alot of idle air in, raise the idle speed really high, and call it good.

it just takes some time to get it dialed in good... and its NOT hard to do. you jsut have to be willing to put the time in yourself.

edit:
intresting twist sidenote.... some guys have started a local shop and now have a dynojet... so AFTER i get the idle, part throttle, ect dialed in, im probly going to be dyno tuning myself... lol.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Hp tune while driving, and I think I've been pushed over the edge. The car is my daily driver and I just want a good tune. It's not a dyno queen, but obviously I do want to gain some hp in the process.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on an auto I dont know of one dyno tuner that will get your wot shift points right the first time.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune or HP tuner On The Fly???