Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinions on my new system?

Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on my new system?

Im going all Alpine. I work at Best buy so I get FAT discounts. I think this will make for a badass setup. I really dont like alot of bass so Im good to go I think.

Head unit = Alpine cda-9847
http://www.mediacollege.com/equipmen.../cda-9847.html

Speakers = Alpine sps-170a
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6nMIuBg...170A&s=0&cc=01

Amp = Alpine mrp-m350
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...=140&p_main=10

Sub = Alpine swe-1042
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ref=25&loc=SMX
Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

great set up !! I got the same AMP

Just don't run that AMP @ 1 OHM ... It'll blow !!

I would get a JL W3V2 sub for that price, but since you're a BB Employee, can't beat the discounts I use to work for CC..

Now get an Amp rack and Stealth Box from Subthump and you're set!!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welllll...if you really want my opinion.... it's a cheap system...that's for sure. The Alpine Type-E can be had for like $50 new off Ebay. And I know BB gives like half off to workers. The 9847 is about bottom of the line. Even though you don't display the high end gear on the showroom floor, don't you still have access to it? Not trying to be a dick.....but if you're all out trying to build a cheap *** system...then you have done it. If you're looking for a nice setup, then spend a couple extra bucks and grab the Type-R line.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firebirdude
Welllll...if you really want my opinion.... it's a cheap system...that's for sure. The Alpine Type-E can be had for like $50 new off Ebay. And I know BB gives like half off to workers. The 9847 is about bottom of the line. Even though you don't display the high end gear on the showroom floor, don't you still have access to it? Not trying to be a dick.....but if you're all out trying to build a cheap *** system...then you have done it. If you're looking for a nice setup, then spend a couple extra bucks and grab the Type-R line.
why is the type r line so much better? What do you suggest I get in the type r line? I want to keep the type speakers cause I like how they sound. I also want to keep the head unit cause I dont need all the fancy stuff. Would it be good if I got the type r sub with this setup?

Last edited by WildBills WS6/SS; 07-27-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I agree looks like you are trying to get everything you need for the least amount of money. Too bad its going to sound that way too.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

keep the stock stereo. put that money to make the car faster
Old 07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLOW ME FASTR
I agree looks like you are trying to get everything you need for the least amount of money. Too bad its going to sound that way too.
guys like you are **** . this **** normal price is like $1200. Im sure it will sound just fine. Whats gona be so bad about it huh. If you read what I said I dont care about the best of everything. I dont like alot of bass and the type s speakers sound badass. I hve heard them
Old 07-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does fat discount = internet/ebay prices?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Does fat discount = internet/ebay prices?
best buy
Old 07-28-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Dude dont worry about the little spoiled kids who are saying your setup is crappy, i think you made some good choices, the only thing i would suggest is looking into the alpine Alpine CDA-9851, its a tad bit nicer, but imo its worth the money, and it has a plip down faceplate to hide that nasty cd slot, but even if you keep your setup that you first posted, it will sound really great!

Alpine makes great products...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WB,

Let me rephrase. What kind of pricing are you getting on the components you listed with your discount (actual pricing on individual parts would be helpful for comparing apples to apples)..

I know best buy charges mostly msrp on the alpine stuff. Online & ebay pricing is at least 40-60% off (yes, less than half the price on some items).
Old 07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually like that HU. I've had a little play time with it and for the price (whether eBay or discounted from your employer) its a great bang for the buck. S-type co-axials sound good for the money, and that amp will do the job. 350w RMS x1 @ 2 ohms will push a type R DVC well, but the E-type will suffice; its just a big step ladder, and drawing the line on what you're willing to spend is a good idea.

I think you'll enjoy it, but I really thing the best money spent is amplifying the highs to prevent distortion. When your t-tops come off, sooo much sound is lost and before you know it you'll be crankin' the volume and you may not be too impressed of the SQ. Alpine makes a nice 5-channel amp that i'd highly recommend, esp if your a BB employee. That way you can tap into your stock wiring by using the piggy tail into the monsoon amplifier for the highs, and power a type R sub or type E all with one amp. (3 sets of RCAs on that HU is a nice feature) You can even get away w/ 8ga wire too!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
Dude dont worry about the little spoiled kids who are saying your setup is crappy, i think you made some good choices, the only thing i would suggest is looking into the alpine Alpine CDA-9851, its a tad bit nicer, but imo its worth the money, and it has a plip down faceplate to hide that nasty cd slot, but even if you keep your setup that you first posted, it will sound really great!

Alpine makes great products...
I actually did decide to go with the cda-9851 instead
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

First of all grow up. No need for name calling and immature remarks. Explain to me how im "spoiled"??? And all those products may COST $1200 at best buy, but are not near worth that money. Best buy is overpriced, and a lot of it is garbage. Like I said before, and still stands ... it looks like you are going for the cheapest setup money can buy. I never said it was a bad thing to be broke, or extremely budgeted.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

First of all grow up. No need for name calling and immature remarks. Explain to me how im "spoiled"??? And all those products may COST $1200 at best buy, but are not near worth that money. Best buy is overpriced, and a lot of it is garbage. Like I said before, and still stands ... it looks like you are going for the cheapest setup money can buy. I never said it was a bad thing to be broke, or extremely budgeted.
your right, I forgot alpine was shitty
Old 07-29-2005, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

I didnt say alpine is shitty.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

LOL you must be kidding me... ALL of your remarks prove that you have verry little education, "Best buy is overpriced, and a lot of it is garbage" Yeah some of their stuff is expensive, but garbage? O YA! HAHAH. Im not going to debate this with you BLOW ME FASTER, your remarks are something that i would expect to come out of a 16 year old kid.

Peace.

WildBills WS6/SS im sure whatever setup you pick, you will have an awesome setup, also glad to hear that you went with the cda-9851. Let us know how the setup sounds after the install.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
LOL you must be kidding me... ALL of your remarks prove that you have verry little education, "Best buy is overpriced, and a lot of it is garbage" Yeah some of their stuff is expensive, but garbage? O YA! HAHAH. Im not going to debate this with you BLOW ME FASTER, your remarks are something that i would expect to come out of a 16 year old kid.

Peace.

WildBills WS6/SS im sure whatever setup you pick, you will have an awesome setup, also glad to hear that you went with the cda-9851. Let us know how the setup sounds after the install.
thanks bro.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like I said before, and still stands ... it looks like you are going for the cheapest setup money can buy. I never said it was a bad thing to be broke, or extremely budgeted.
I still agree with this. You asked for our opinions. Good.... bad... nice...mean.... whatever. I don't think my comment was out of line and I was basically saying this same thing. Alpine doesn't suck at all, but you ARE buying their very cheapest lowest line gear. If you have heard components from all lines from all brands that BB carries.... and still prefer the Type-S components.... then great. That's exactly what you should get. Whatever sounds best to you is all that matters. But I had a buddy with dual Type-E 12"s in a bird. I was very un-impressed with everything about them. (Yes, box was atleast decent )

All in all, since you work there....you could buy the Type-E and if your the least bit unhappy with them, return them very easily and get something else. If your happy with everything.....party on!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Agreed, nothing you can buy at best buy or circuit city will EVER even allow you to compete in a sound and stereo competition. Personally after exploring diamond audio and mb quart and similar speakers which most people at bb and cc have never heard of, I'd never put back to mainstream audio brands.

BLOW ME FASTR is right, for all of you who called him out for his earlier post. Same with firebirdude. If you are looking for a cheap system, why bother with alpine, you can get MTX all way round and save yourself even more cash. You could even get a bazooka tube.

Not saying alpine is crap but you have to draw yourself a line on what exactly you want. I have a system that is easily twice the quality of a stock alpine system and cost me MUCH less than you intent to spend. If you do your research, you'll find much better out there. And keeping a system all one brand only shows that you are all about name brands and don't really care too much about quality. Different brands excel at different products. JL makes hella good subs but I probably wouldn't invest in their speakers. MB quart makes great speakers but i don't know if i'd go with their subs. See where I am going with this?

My opinion, buy amps from your job, and go out and -LOOK at other speaker systems. You won't see sl500s pulling up to have type r speakers put in them. You're cutting yourself very short by investing only in alpine just for the name.

Sorry if you don't like my opinions, but like firebirdude said, you asked...

Search this Thread