New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose

Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me choose

This is my first post on the forum and already I'm asking for the benefit of your collective wisdom...

Anyway, I am in the market for an LS1 powered car and have narrowed it down to 2 vehicles. My plans for the car are to keep it stock for a while, then slowly begin to tackle the mods. I am not looking to make a drag car, this is kind of my midlife-crisis car, only early. Which would be the better car (I plan on keeping it for a very long time, so residual value is a plus)? I will only list what the TA has that the Z doesn't in the description.

A) 2000 T/A, 28k, auto
w/ cruise, keyless entry, power doors/windows, T-top
B) 2002 Z28, 39k, 6 speed
1 owner car-dealer said he would arrange a conversation with the prior owner if I was interested in speaking with him.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally would rather have the T/A they look mean as hell and for some reason perform just a hair stronger..not much but they seem to be a lil more solid...i know there is so much debate on this one so we wont get off topic but the z28 doesnt look as agressive...and i love the t-tops..However the z28 does have one advantage that i see over the T/A...and thats the M6...i just wouldnt opt for the auto for driving performance..IMHO the m6 are just much more fun to drive..hard one to pick from here
Old 07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i would base it on 3 factors if i had no previous preference car.....

1. What color do you prefer of the 2
2. What transmission do you prefer
3. Do you like the looks of the Pontiac or the Chevy.

If both are stock, then dont buy either thinking one car will outperform the other. However, to answer your actual question.....Id'e go with the Pontiac. T-tops are so nice, couldnt cruise without cruise, and power windows are a must. Try rolling down a passenger side window on the highway. However im sure the Z has p locks and windows........ The main reason......i really like the look of a Trans Am. Camaros have curves too and look very nice, but i think the Pontiac still looks better.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO Sticks are more fun. I had a 2000 A4 Trans Am then went to my 2001 M6.

I guess what I am trying to say is it all depends mod wise what you are going to end up doing. If you are going to go race, then the A4 would be my choice. Rearends are alittle less prone to being destroyed with an A4, but tranny's aren't that strong to take alot of power unless you build them and tune for shift points. Nothing sucks more than hitting the rev limiter with a tranny that isn't shifting fast enough for the power.

But, a 6 speed is more fun on the street and to me on the track. I have decided to stop my mods on my current car to buy a lighter bodied Z28 to build for the track. I am also going to buy an A4 this time so the conversion over to a TH400 will be easier and in the meantime I can still have fun with the stock rear, tranny with a sticky tire on my other set of track wheels.

Depends on the mods, heavy mods..........light mods they are all fun. I just can't give up my 6 speed it's too much fun and it's still something I can take to the track when I wanna run slower

For your purchase and benefit, I'd go with the 2002.......higher book value, LS6 intake and injectors and Camaro's can be faster with boltons being a good 200 lbs lighter.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I would say go with the Z because it's a 6spd and newer (not that it matters much). But thats probably just because it's what I would pick. Oh yeah,the 2002 has the LS6 intake where the 2000 doesn't so you've saved some money by not having to get it after market. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Allergik2dyin; 07-27-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the T/A and slap a stall in her and you will be very happy.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

No you don't need a stall converter in a STOCK car!!

If you change gears and add some mods like exhaust or a cam........THEN you can get a converter.

Until then if you choose the A4 car, have fun with the STOCK converter.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say the 2002's are stonger, ls6 intake and injectors and i've heard some of the fbods even had a ls6 block, but theres no garuntee of that.
but being the last year they made the fbods i would think an 02 would hold higher value, tho IMO the T/A looks much nicer, and TTOPs are a must on these! i have em and i love em. I live in Buffalo and i take em off the first days of spring in 50 degree weather... Also consider down the line if you wanted to swap out your A4 for a M6, it would be more feasable than putting ttops in the Z. I have an A4 and everyday i wish i had a M6, this is actually the first car i bought that wasn't a manual and i miss it. Also since your going to keep the car for a while, get the color you like best like someone else mentioned! I'm assuming both cars are in the same condition inside and out?

this would be a hard decision but i think i'd end up getting the T/A.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trans Am because I love the way they look. T-tops and power options were a must for me also.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

I'd say go with the T/A... but I'm kinda biast... you should be happy either way... A4's can be monsters too... just slap on a converter after you do a couple upgrades
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No brainer, go with the Z

-6spd (since it is a non-drag car)
-LS6 intake
-LS6 block (yes they all have them 01-02)
-2 years newer

Plus its a Z

But imo T/A's look better than Z's but SS's look the best of them all. Just my opinion
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not all 2001 and 2002's came with the LS6 block, but they all did come with the LS6 intake
Old 07-28-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AssKickingLS1
Not all 2001 and 2002's came with the LS6 block, but they all did come with the LS6 intake
I was waiting for someone to say that. According to FBODFATHER (Scott Settlemeyer, Former GM Assistant Brand Manager FBody/Corvette) they are all LS6 blocks. You cant go by the casting num. Met up with him in person to talk about things and he said a lot of people think some are and some arent. He said first of all that doesnt make sense and secondly he said that is a rumor.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i thought that might be the case, but i wasn't positive, while were on the topic, what exactly are the differences between the ls6 and ls1 blocks?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AssKickingLS1
all 01 and 02s have ls6 block
Old 07-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have owned both and prefer the T/A over the Camaro. The rear spoiler, the seats, the ground effects all are much sharper on the T/A in my opinion. I would get the T/A if I were you. You will love it!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since the concensous here is T/A, why not look for a 2001-2002? So you'd get the LS6 intake.

I love my T/A and I'm keeping it, but I am going with a Z28 for the track due to being a lighter car and my T/A is staying a stick and not getting a roll cage the doner Z can.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

You are correct in that the 2002 would have the newer LS1 engine, and therefore, more HP and Torque.

One other thought......are you going to drive the car daily?

I ask because the Z28 is a great handler......but it also has a more compliant ride than the SS or WS6.......and therefore, it's a little easier to live with on rough roads. (most of my captive fleet were SSs with exception of B4C Police Service Coupes..which are essentially Z28s.......and every time I got into a B4C, I'd marvel at the difference in ride quality)

As to the milder look of the Z.......that can be corrected with an SS hood.....and as you mentioned, you will be modding it.........

All that said........it also comes down to color and which style you like better.

And for the record, the Firebird isn't any faster than the Camaro ...all things being equal.......

in fact, the most aerodynamic of the Fbodies is the Z28 without the Sport Appearance Package....(the ground effects)....the ground effects of the S.A.P. and the ground effects of the Firebird actually set up small vortices......it really would not make much difference unless you were sustaining 150mph..........and then, it would be negligible. But I remember one of our engineers telling the Fbody team this fact........and just to 'tweak' the Pontiac guys, I'd refer to the Firebird as 'the slower Fbody!"

Don't take that last part seriously....it was meant in fun....(we enjoyed tweaking each other.....)
Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Teching In

um i would get the Z. b/c its newer with better built parts and its a 6 speed which gives u a better edge on auto LS1's. i also love the look better than the non-ws6 trans am. but since you will be keeping the car for a while, i would get the one that apeals to you the most in color and performance.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i was told that some of the 01's and up had the chance of getting the ls6 block but it was not a proof positive thing..can anyone elaborate on this as the ls1 and ls6 are all 6 bolt mains...so what the difference..what makes them different

Search this Thread