Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Converter INSTALL TIPS so far..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Converter INSTALL TIPS so far..

well, i have the bellhousing bolts in, and getting ready to finish it up tommarow. so far i have composed the following tips for anyone else attemping this task...

1. i hand threaded in the upper belt housing bolts by hand with the trans dragging a bit from upstairs behind the intake. this saves massive amounts of time and pain with a 16' extension that reaches into the next garage.
2. if you lose the e clips that lock in the trans cooler lines for a 00-02, you have to order them from the dealership. regular clips from the hardware store will not work.
3. using a angle pick to get out the e clips are a life saver. i spent about 2 hours screwing with these bastards, and when i had to pop off the hardware store eclip, i got it the first try with the right tools.
4. take the starter all the way off. i did this install with the modern muscle car doc, and they recommend leaving it hanging by a coat hanger. IMO, this is f'in stupid, take the thing all the way off and save the pain.
5. line up the dip stick tube before you get the trans into place. this thing will get in the way big time.
6. the Trans cooler line clips were the biggest pain in the *** of the whole deal. $4.99 a piece from GM. i hate these things.

well, there you have it. Not that bad, and i am ready for next time when the stock trans blows up. With that said, good luck to all of you first timers. this job sucks, but it is well worth it, and you dont have to drop the $600-800 to get someone else to install it for you, and feel like *****. i will update if i need to devulge anymore words of wisdom. I will also post a similar thread after i put the cam in this weekend. NOW, please continue on with the "which converter should i get?/will a 3600 hit hard?/what gears?" crap....there needs to be a sticky on this so it doesnt take up so much wasted space for the rest of us that arent retarded/been doing this our whole lives.. TOM THE DESTROYER...NOW, please continue on with the "which converter should i get?/will a 3600 hit hard?/what gears?" crap....there needs to be a sticky on this so it doesnt take up so much wasted space for the rest of us that arent retarded/been doing this our whole lives..
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never have a problem with the cooler line clips.
Take them off with a small screw driver, pull the line out, put the clips back in.
When you are ready to reinstall the cooler lines just push them in until you hear a snap.
FWIW rebuild kits come with a little baggie that has the clips and o rings. I have never installed new clips. I have many spares and I'm sure a local trans shop does as well.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hardtopSS
NOW, please continue on with the "which converter should i get?/will a 3600 hit hard?/what gears?" crap....there needs to be a sticky on this so it doesnt take up so much wasted space for the rest of us that arent retarded/been doing this our whole lives..
What the hell is that all about? Just because people are making an effort to learn, it makes them retards? Oh, oh, please excuse them for not having done it their whole lives Mr. High and Mighty.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
What the hell is that all about? Just because people are making an effort to learn, it makes them retards? Oh, oh, please excuse them for not having done it their whole lives Mr. High and Mighty.
No s**t and calling the people who can't/don't install the stall themselves pussies...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some times it is easer to lower the trans with the lines attached,
if you are not taking the trans out, but just lowering it with enough room to r&r converter
This will save time you can also take them off when the trans is lowered
Old 07-28-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

With that said, good luck to all of you first timers. this job sucks, but it is well worth it, and you dont have to drop the $600-800 to get someone else to install it for you, and feel like *****. [/B]
It's like $200-250 for a tc install btw.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

That's what I was thinking. The shop installing mine is charging me 300 for the shift kit, trans cooler and the converter. Just b/c I am having it installed by someone else doesn't make me or anyone else a p####. It just means that we don't want to become the one of the horror stories that you see on here where people get in over their heads and still end up at a shop or worse buying a new trans.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

FULLY INSTALLED, no problems.
another tip-
i used to RTV on the end of the 10 o'clock bellhousing bolt to get it on. This helped out alot, and after it got a little sticky, i think i only dropped the bolt maybe another 15 times before i got it threaded in.
If anyone has any questions on this, send me a PM, id be happy to help out
Old 07-29-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

If anyone has any questions on this, send me a PM, id be happy to help out
I dunno man. God forbid they might not know how to do it on their own and have to ask you for help!