Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Flashing

I'm looking to pick up an LS1 in the near future and I think I've decided with he HP Tuners software. Are there any others that I should look into also? HPT seems to be far better than LS1Edit, but I didn't find much input on others. Wideband o2 is something i'm also interested in, does anyone have experience with having it integrated with the HPT stuff? If so, how's that working for you? Anyway, the one thing I haven't been able to find that I would really like to know is how many flashes the pcm is good for. Are we talking a dozen or hundreds or what?

Last edited by 67GoatPimp; 07-28-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Go with EFI Live. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67GoatPimp
I'm looking to pick up an LS1 in the near future and I think I've decided with he HP Tuners software. Are there any others that I should look into also? HPT seems to be far better than LS1Edit, but I didn't find much input on others. Wideband o2 is something i'm also interested in, does anyone have experience with having it integrated with the HPT stuff? If so, how's that working for you? Anyway, the one thing I haven't been able to find that I would really like to know is how many flashes the pcm is good for. Are we talking a dozen or hundreds or what?
I've flashed my stock computer over 100x now with no issues & hpt & efi live are your best choices as of right now...hpt is slightly cheaper & has what I would consider a slightly better licensing arrangement & offers tuning options for more cars but efi live has a slightly better scanner.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

no doubt about it, EFILive is the way to go.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say HPTuners is your best bet. EFILive allows you to tune one vehicle per license, but with HPTuners you can tune two different model/year vehicles. This opens up you choices when deciding to purchased an LS1 package. You will not be locked into a specific VIN for the ECM. For conversions and hybrid vehicles, HPTuners is the way to go. For me it is much easier to tune hybrids with HPTuners and not worry about the VIN issue. Both offer the same things in regards to tuning, both scanners are good, but I prefer the HPTuners version.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

FlashScan works great with my LC-1 WB and the AutoTune feature makes thing much easier to tune. EFILive has had a scanner for many years and is the best scanner out there. I also had LS1Edit but I will not be using it again. FlashScan tuning keeps a history of all your changes and you can bring up other tunes to compare. You can also copy and paste from the scanning software to the tuning software. No need for excel anymore. Both have there own web site and I know FlashScan has great customer support. FlashScan also has free software upgrades for life--no one has that!!!!

Good luck on what ever one you chose but do not go with LS1Edit. Pick HP or FlashScan.

The PCM can be flashed hundreds or thousands of times. I have flashed mine at least a couple of hundred.
Bill
Old 07-28-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's a factory PCM then you should have hundreds of flashes in it. I've heard that some OEM replacement PCMs have significantly less life in them as far as flashes go, but haven't confirmed it.