PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a novice out: Tahoe related...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help a novice out: Tahoe related...

This is from another board, he seems a little lost at what happened. Here is his post.

Well Well...I'm probably getting what I deserved, but...

About 3 months ago I installed a K&N Air Intake System, a Set of Edelbrock Ti-Tech Headers and a Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust on my Mother's 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Biggest mistake I think I made trying to hot rod up my Mother's car. The real reason was that my mom was getting like 10 miles to the gallon on the average. UNLEADED gas here in SoCal is $2.57 a gallon, so anything that helps. I put on all this stuff out of my own pocket in hopes that it might help her mileage and the driveability of her car. Since then I have had nothing but trouble with her vehicle, and whenever I get a check engine light on...she yells and screms at me as to how "she drives a 2003 Chevy Piece of Junk" and always blames me when the car acts up.

Ever since I put on all this stuff I've had a check engine light on. My car has OnStar so I call up and have them run a diagnostic. They say there are problems with the fuel management system. Shrug it off, figuring it's nothing serious. Finally the light is getting on my nerves so I take it over to a friend of mine's mechanic shop to check everything out. When I take it over there the light goes off. Bring it home, the thing is dripping condensation on the driveway. I also notice some oil on the ground.

On the fourth of July, the battery went dead. Had it jump started...ran okay until today...when the battery died yet again. Once I got it jumpstarted, I turn on the thing and I get a flashing warning saying "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" and the car is IDLING at 1,300 RPM!!!! This thing normally idles at about 650 rpm. Try to put it in and gas the throttle a bit, the car moves at a snails pace. Floor it, no throttle response. Call Back OnStar and they say there is a serious problem with the Powertrain and Throttle Modules....and I get ANOTHER lecture from my Mother about how much of an idiot I am for working on her car in the first place...and that if I want to ruin a car work on my own.

I have no idea why all of this is happening, the vehicle only has 57,835 miles on it. OnStar keeps telling me that I need to take it to the dealership but I hesitate that I'm going to get a lecture about how I have all this aftermarket stuff on the car.

All I can say is I'm never laying my wrench on a computer controlled vehicle again. Ever since I put on this stuff that would be a snap on my GTO, I've had one problem after another.

This is his Email: bjensen@intheav.com
He lives in Southern Cali.

Thanks all.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing uh?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a burnt o2 sensor wire or two.. \
Blew a fuse.

You could take it to get the codes read and that would help you pinpoint the problem. It will tell you exactly what is wrong.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

What board is it from, I am in So-Cal and can offer help. Let me know what board he posted this, as I am on a few GM truck forums as well.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

It was from the Performance Years GTO's board but it is down for service. Email the kid and ask him directly. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Email is invalid. Well I tried. I'll check out that board if it comes back up.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

bryan67gto@aol.com