Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do deep transmission pans reduce ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do deep transmission pans reduce ground clearance?

I'm currently looking at both a B&M and Hughes Performance deep transmission pan, both pans increase fluid capacity by around 3 quarts. I was wondering on the 4L60E would the pan be so low to the ground that it might bottom out and scrap? I was hoping that someone here on the board might have a deep pan and would be able to tell me how much ground clearance they lost by switching to a deep pan.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't measured so I don't know the difference...but my stock y pipe still hangs much lower than any part of the tranny.

In the 9 months or so I've had the deep pan on the car..haven't scraped it once. The exhaust on the other hand (y pipe or cutout)...well...too many (darn driveway...)
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
I'm currently looking at both a B&M and Hughes Performance deep transmission pan, both pans increase fluid capacity by around 3 quarts. I was wondering on the 4L60E would the pan be so low to the ground that it might bottom out and scrap? I was hoping that someone here on the board might have a deep pan and would be able to tell me how much ground clearance they lost by switching to a deep pan.

Thanks.
I have the B&M 3 Qt deep pan on my stock height 01 Z28, and the pan does hang down low, I do not think this pan would work well on a lowered vehicle.

SteveC
Old 07-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TCI's deepest finned pan hung lower than my Y-pipe and
tagged every speed bump (1" drop). The GM truck pan
is shallower than my Y-pipe (also has a low profile drain
plug).
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, I drag my cat now on the speed bump in front of my home so I figure it is not worth the chance. I'm sure if I dog legged the speed bump I could make it over but I ever slip up and hit the bump head on I would probably lose the pan. See I'm trying to fix a small tranny leak so I'm changing the pan (looks warped), bolt/washers (wrong ones are on the car already and I'm missing washers), and the gasket. I figure if that don't work then it is time for something more time consuming.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch

This is the pan I'm buying, nothing real special and the most important features of all is of course the drain plug lol. I figure if I want to prolong the life of my tranny I will just add a cooler.

Quick Reply: Do deep transmission pans reduce ground clearance?